MA in IR for average students

boblong

I am an average student. I dont have a super high GRE score or awesome work experience. But I still want to get a MA in IR. That being said, what are some programs that I should be looking at that I have a chance to be accepted in? Everyone talks about Harvard and Princeton which I have no chance at and I was wanting to know some good schools that are less competitive to get in to.

My stats are:

3.7 GPA in criminal justice at a state school

470 v 670 q

8 month internship with a big city police department under the human trafficking unit

experience in 2 campaigns

Teachers assistant for a japanese elementary school during the weekends

Lots of extracurriculars including president for an honor society.

once again, I don't think I'm competitive enough to be applying to the top schools, which schools should I be looking at that I have a chance in?

Don't sell yourself short.

Why do you want to study international relations? With the exception of your GRE scores, I think your stats are good enough that any adcomm would take a decent look at you. If you can set yourself apart with a solid statement of purpose, I don't see why you should settle with middle-of-the-road graduate schools.

What are you specific interests in regard to international relations? There may be some schools that are considered "average" but have excellent faculty in a particular area.

Do you have any experience abroad, and if so, in what capacity?

As for your GRE scores, do you think that they can be improved on if you spend a few months studying? If you feel that your scores may be significantly improved by taking the test again, I would highly, highly recommend doing so. Even if you didn't raise your Q score at all, raising your verbal score by a hundred (I know it sounds far-fetched, but it is certainly possible) would give your portfolio some added strength.

That being said, I guess I didn't answer your original question. I'm sure some of the regulars can answer much better than I can, but I don't think any conclusive ranking exists for terminal MA masters programs outside of the top 20 or so.

Pull up your GRE scores (specifically the V), define your interests, write a solid SOP and get good recs - you should be able to get in to a perfectly good school. If you're interested in transnational crime (I'm going by the human trafficking internship), George Mason has a very good transnational crime & corruption center where you could do an MPP with an international focus (they're right in DC, too, which places you well for internships and career opportunities). If you can pull up your GREV, I think American and George Washington would both be perfectly within reach. Just make sure you write a strong SOP and get glowing academic recommendations.

Edited by Leica

Ive taken the GRE 3 times already. Studied excessively each time and memorized about 900+ words. I just cant get my verbal score over 500 for some reason. My LORs should be pretty solid and my SOP has been edited by multiple professors so I feel that its pretty good. Im really interested in security studies and georgetown's ssp is my ideal school but its quite a reach. I have a lot of experience abroad. I have been to Japan over 7 times, staying for about a month each time. I am pretty fluent in Japanese as well.

Ive taken the GRE 3 times already. Studied excessively each time and memorized about 900+ words. I just cant get my verbal score over 500 for some reason. My LORs should be pretty solid and my SOP has been edited by multiple professors so I feel that its pretty good. Im really interested in security studies and georgetown's ssp is my ideal school but its quite a reach. I have a lot of experience abroad. I have been to Japan over 7 times, staying for about a month each time. I am pretty fluent in Japanese as well.

Because the admissions process is so opaque no one really knows what the red lines are for GREs and GPA. That being said there's a general feeling, at least among the top 20 school for IR, that verbal matters more than quantitative. However some programs are more quantitatively focused, MIT's program for example. You should apply to schools in which you're interested and let the pieces fall where they may. Personally I know someone whose scores were pretty much the opposite of yours (much higher verbal GRE, much lower quantitative) who got into the Fletcher School at Tufts. So apply at the schools you're interested in and hope for the best.

UCSD's IR/PS program may be a good fit for you. Check it out and good luck!

I second University of California at San Diego, their program focuses on Asia Pacific studies which is right up your alley. You also might want to look at:

University of Denver

Monterey Institute of International studies

All of the other APSIA Schools

Also look at your local state schools and see what type of IR programs and, if their IR program is not for you, examine other Master's options and concentrate your courses on IR. For example, I've got a friend who is doing a communications MA from UNC Chapel Hill with the intention of helping NGOs after graduation. The skills in that program definitely translate to being an effective fundraiser/advocate after graduation. Some other options are MBA, MPA, political science and economics.