Chances at Poli Sci PhD programs?

cake268

Sorry, I'm sure people get tired of these types of threads, but I really can't help myself. I'm just looking for some general opinions on my chances at PhD programs for political science, or at least MA programs with an option to continue onto a PhD pending good performance in the MA program.

I'm looking at:

UC Berkeley

UCLA

U Colorado, Denver

Georgetown

UNC Chapel Hill

UC-Santa Barbara

University of Washington (Seattle)

I'm specifically interested in international political economy and international economic development.

BA in Political Science from a decent, but not great private school (top 50).

Cumulative GPA: 3.3

In-Major: 3.48

Coursework in Economics (but no minor): 4.0 GPA

**I know my GPA looks pretty bad, but I'm hoping that it will help that my cumulative from my last 3 semesters was 3.84**

B+ in our major quantitative methodologies course (basic econometrics), and an A in our senior research thesis course. My thesis was on state-building in Africa, specifically how low population densities and natural resource abundance lead to weak tax extraction systems and, in turn, weak institutional development.

No published research, but a pending book review on state-building literature.

I'm working as an RA on a well-known project related to my field (one semester). Lots of work experience (4+ years during undergrad) but not related to political science or really anything useful. One good internship, and some very good advocacy and volunteer experience in local government and environmental issues.

Verbal 680

Quant 720

AW 6.0 (95 percentile or so).

Letters of recommendation from recognizable names, but not super-strong. Good, but not excellent letters. I think my SoP is pretty good, but who knows.

Be honest....I'm not sure how much it matters that my GPA improved toward the end of my undergrad years, when it is so low overall.

Thanks!

Sorry, I'm sure people get tired of these types of threads, but I really can't help myself. I'm just looking for some general opinions on my chances at PhD programs for political science, or at least MA programs with an option to continue onto a PhD pending good performance in the MA program.

I'm looking at:

UC Berkeley

UCLA

U Colorado, Denver

Georgetown

UNC Chapel Hill

UC-Santa Barbara

University of Washington (Seattle)

I'm specifically interested in international political economy and international economic development.

BA in Political Science from a decent, but not great private school (top 50).

Cumulative GPA: 3.3

In-Major: 3.48

Coursework in Economics (but no minor): 4.0 GPA

**I know my GPA looks pretty bad, but I'm hoping that it will help that my cumulative from my last 3 semesters was 3.84**

B+ in our major quantitative methodologies course (basic econometrics), and an A in our senior research thesis course. My thesis was on state-building in Africa, specifically how low population densities and natural resource abundance lead to weak tax extraction systems and, in turn, weak institutional development.

No published research, but a pending book review on state-building literature.

I'm working as an RA on a well-known project related to my field (one semester). Lots of work experience (4+ years during undergrad) but not related to political science or really anything useful. One good internship, and some very good advocacy and volunteer experience in local government and environmental issues.

Verbal 680

Quant 720

AW 6.0 (95 percentile or so).

Letters of recommendation from recognizable names, but not super-strong. Good, but not excellent letters. I think my SoP is pretty good, but who knows.

Be honest....I'm not sure how much it matters that my GPA improved toward the end of my undergrad years, when it is so low overall.

Thanks!

I think the fact that your GPA improved and your high GRE scores will work in your favor. Good Luck!

I would say that you have a decent chance at schools in the 15-30 range (depending on which rankings you look at, the exact schools in this range may vary). The biggest trick is to tailor your statement of purpose to the program, especially how your research interests are best served by being at that specific school.

Also, most poli sci phd programs do not have "contingent" masters degrees. If they accept you (and fund you), then they do so because it is their expectation that you will be able to finish the program (although they know that a large portion of those people who are accepted into phd programs do not finish).