How the US university offer funding, scholarship, etc ?

DPeanutPieApple

Hi. I'm super new here in this forum (Btw, if I post this topic in a wrong section, or anything please tell me.)

I want to study grad in US this fall in Interaction Design major.

I have already send the application and portfolio to my university of choices. Anyway, I am always looking for the financial aids, or scholarship, or any opportunities to fund my education fee.  I am an international student ( and English is not my first language). I am not sure how the university in US offer these things the same way as in my country. And sometimes the information on the internet confuses me. However, I understand that most of the art schools doesn't offer full funding for the international students. The school I sent the application to are DMA of UCLA, Digital Arts at Pratt, SVA, and interaction design of CCA.

So these are some questions I have:

Do I have to ask for the financial aids at the beginning when sending the application, or I can contact them later?

Is there any art/design school that offer full funding/scholarship for the international students?

If I got accepted in many places, could I ask for the funding to compare which school I should select?

--

** If there is anyone post this kind of questions before, I am sorry that I couldn't find it. Please send me the link. 

PS. I graduated with 1st-class honour with the Golden Medal, and I have quality artworks ( but, well.. I don't know if how I present it as a portfolio will grab the committee's attention or not.)

Edited by TuangT

• 1 month later...
On 1/9/2016 at 3:38 AM, TuangT said:

Hi. I'm super new here in this forum (Btw, if I post this topic in a wrong section, or anything please tell me.)

I want to study grad in US this fall in Interaction Design major.

I have already send the application and portfolio to my university of choices. Anyway, I am always looking for the financial aids, or scholarship, or any opportunities to fund my education fee.  I am an international student ( and English is not my first language). I am not sure how the university in US offer these things the same way as in my country. And sometimes the information on the internet confuses me. However, I understand that most of the art schools doesn't offer full funding for the international students. The school I sent the application to are DMA of UCLA, Digital Arts at Pratt, SVA, and interaction design of CCA.

So these are some questions I have:

Do I have to ask for the financial aids at the beginning when sending the application, or I can contact them later?

Is there any art/design school that offer full funding/scholarship for the international students?

If I got accepted in many places, could I ask for the funding to compare which school I should select?

--

** If there is anyone post this kind of questions before, I am sorry that I couldn't find it. Please send me the link. 

PS. I graduated with 1st-class honour with the Golden Medal, and I have quality artworks ( but, well.. I don't know if how I present it as a portfolio will grab the committee's attention or not.)

If things work out this year in terms of being accepted, you may get something like a teaching assistantship. If you just get a scholarship, you can send an email to schools seeing if they can give you more funding--especially if you have multiple offers. State/public schools often will be able to do things like give in state tuition remission (it's worth asking for if they don't offer it up front). Schools often have scholarships / fellowships held in reserve for some candidates.

That said, if you want funding (if funding is very important to you) my suggestion is to look for programs that have graduate teaching assistantships and to apply to as many of those as possible (like extend your list out more if possible... there are likely some state schools with good programs that need students to fill GTAs). In almost all cases, with the exception of merit/diversity fellowships, this is the best way to get funded. Not only will you get funding/scholarship, you'll likely get all of your tuition covered and a living stipend.

19 hours ago, FalloutCoversEverything said:

If things work out this year in terms of being accepted, you may get something like a teaching assistantship. If you just get a scholarship, you can send an email to schools seeing if they can give you more funding--especially if you have multiple offers. State/public schools often will be able to do things like give in state tuition remission (it's worth asking for if they don't offer it up front). Schools often have scholarships / fellowships held in reserve for some candidates.

That said, if you want funding (if funding is very important to you) my suggestion is to look for programs that have graduate teaching assistantships and to apply to as many of those as possible (like extend your list out more if possible... there are likely some state schools with good programs that need students to fill GTAs). In almost all cases, with the exception of merit/diversity fellowships, this is the best way to get funded. Not only will you get funding/scholarship, you'll likely get all of your tuition covered and a living stipend.

Thanks ! I will wait until they accept me, and will email them. :D

• 4 months later...