Unexpected Agony

lemonparty

I know this is going to sound trite and naive, but I truly believed that when I finished all of my applications I'd be able to breathe a sigh of relief; that the stress of the past few months would suddenly disappear because... I finished!

Obviously, this was not the case. I feel more stressed than ever waiting to find out if I'll be accepted anywhere. It's agonizing. One of my greatest and most pleasurable ways to pass the time (reading) has suddenly become impossible. I can't focus. After a few pages my brain forces upon my attention the uncertainty that comes with waiting to hear back from admissions committees.

I guess this post is, for the most part, a way for me to release some of my frustration. That said, if anyone has any advice to give or even sentiments of camaraderie or solidarity, I'll be grateful to hear them.

Cheers.

2 hours ago, lemonparty said:

I know this is going to sound trite and naive, but I truly believed that when I finished all of my applications I'd be able to breathe a sigh of relief; that the stress of the past few months would suddenly disappear because... I finished!

Obviously, this was not the case. I feel more stressed than ever waiting to find out if I'll be accepted anywhere. It's agonizing. One of my greatest and most pleasurable ways to pass the time (reading) has suddenly become impossible. I can't focus. After a few pages my brain forces upon my attention the uncertainty that comes with waiting to hear back from admissions committees.

I guess this post is, for the most part, a way for me to release some of my frustration. That said, if anyone has any advice to give or even sentiments of camaraderie or solidarity, I'll be grateful to hear them.

Cheers.

I know it is a little stressful during waiting, and for this reason I lurk in these forums every once in a while. Having said that, I cannot understand what is so agonizing about waiting? I have previously applied for masters twice, before I got third time lucky. Now this is my first attempt at PhD. I think I am qualified to understand the stress of uncertainty, but I have never felt it was really agonizing per se. I always new what I would do if I don't get at XYZ, and always had a plan B.

I think having a plan B helps a lot. Visualize yourself not getting through that university XYZ, is it that bad? You still are you, and your interests, goals and dreams haven't changed a bit. Maybe instead of XYZ you end up going to ABC or in the worst case join a job. What's so bad to feel "agonized" among these excellent choices? 

On 1/9/2016 at 8:02 AM, nallapar said:

I think having a plan B helps a lot. Visualize yourself not getting through that university XYZ, is it that bad? You still are you, and your interests, goals and dreams haven't changed a bit. Maybe instead of XYZ you end up going to ABC or in the worst case join a job. What's so bad to feel "agonized" among these excellent choices? 

True! Making a plan B definitely helps get you out of infinite agony. After finishing three episodes of a series drama in three days, tons of comic books and coffees, I rather felt exhausted than relaxed. My airplane ticket that I bought on the whim would not get me anywhere for another month, so I started to make a 3-months period plan to refresh myself. Now I lurk in these forums about once a week (which is largely decreased from five times a day). 

On 2016/1/9 at 3:28 PM, lemonparty said:

Cheers.

I'm right there with you. I've always been the kind of person who likes to have reasonably solid idea of what I'm doing the next two or so years, so this level of uncertainty is really unnerving. I just want to know one way or the other. :unsure:

I play a lot of video games, and that's definitely helped. Especially the time-consuming ones (looking at you, Fallout). Plus, now that the semester is back into swing, the waiting should get easier. Hypothetically.

I agree. Making secondary plans does take away some of the stress because if something does not work out, then you have something else to look forward to. No matter what the outcomes will be, I already have back up plans and both outcomes are equally exciting :)