Anyone heard from Columbia Journalism School regarding writing tests?

AlanaMadeleine

They sent me an email on dec. 18, it stated:

Dear Marie,

We will soon be sending you information about the 2016 Journalism Writing Test. The test will need to be completed by January 31, 2016. If you will be traveling between December 22, 2015 and January 31, 2016 and will not be able to take the test in your current city (as provided in your application for admission), please provide an alternate address by clicking the link below and submitting an address change form.

https://fs18.formsite.com/CUJournalismAdmissions/form76/index.html

For ALL questions or concerns regarding the writing test, please contact us at admissionswritingtest@gmail.com 

All M.S. applicants, as well as M.A. applicants wishing to be considered for the M.S., must take the Journalism Writing Test. Information will be emailed to you after December 22, and all tests must be completed by January 31, 2016.

Sincerely,

The Office of Admission and Financial Aid
Columbia University
Graduate School of Journalism
Pulitzer Hall - Room 203
2950 Broadway
New York City, New York 10027
admissions@jrn.columbia.edu
T: 212-854-8608
F: 212-854-2352

BUT...I received another e-mail a couple of weeks ago telling me that I needed to find my own proctor to administer the test. I'm not going to take the test and have decided to let the application go. 

I got this email today, but like I said, I am not taking the test.

Dear Marie,

All applicants who are required to take the admission writing test should have received instructions by this time. If you applied to the M.S. program or to the M.A. program and requested to be considered for the M.S. but have not received details about completing the writing test, please contact us using this email address: admissionswritingtest@gmail.com. The deadline to submit the writing test is January 24th.

If you have your test time scheduled with a proctor, you may disregard this message. 

Also, for those who need to find their own proctor, please have him or her register with us as early as possible (at least two days in advance), not when you sit down for the test, so that your proctor has adequate time to review our test instructions. Your proctor will receive the test and instructions within 24 hours after registration. Our normal operating hours are Monday through Friday from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. for any questions or troubleshooting. We urge you to complete this test as soon as possible - do not wait until the last minute!

Thank you,

The Office of Admission and Financial Aid
Columbia University
Graduate School of Journalism
Pulitzer Hall - Room 203
2950 Broadway
New York City, New York 10027
admissions@jrn.columbia.edu
T: 212-854-8608
F: 212-854-2352

Here's the email I got informing me on how to get my own proctor. Sorry for the numerous posts.

David Hooker <dh2443@columbia.edu>

Jan 4 (9 days ago)

to me

Dear Marie,

Thank you for submitting your online application to the Columbia University Graduate School of Journalism. We look forward to reviewing your application.

About The Master of Science Writing Test:

All students who apply for the Master of Science degree must take the Journalism Writing Test. The 90-minute writing test is completed on the computer and will be evaluated by the admission committee. The test will give the committee a good idea of your problem solving ability, critical thinking skills, reporting and writing style and current events/historical facts knowledge.

Please make sure to save your work frequently during the test. The Journalism School is not responsible for lost information on un-saved work. There are no sample tests online. The test will have short answer and open ended questions. You are not allowed to use spell/grammar check, the internet, paper, pencil, phones, any other devices or reference guides during the test. You are not allowed to have a copy of the test after your session. Our office is not able to provide you with other hints about the writing test.

**Please bring a valid photo ID and your 9-digit Slate Application ID number to the test. You can find this number on your online application in the upper right hand corner.

***MANDATORY: YOU MUST HAVE THE EMAIL ADDRESS AND PASSWORD ASSOCIATED WITH YOUR ADMISSION APPLICATION TO BE ABLE TO LOG IN TO THE WRITING TEST. BRING THAT INFORMATION WITH YOU TO THE TEST. YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO TAKE THE TEST WITHOUT THAT INFORMATION. AGAIN, TO BE ABLE TO LOG IN TO THE WRITING TEST, YOU NEED TO USE YOUR APPLICATION EMAIL ADDRESS AND PASSWORD. 

Proctor Status: Unfortunately, we do not have a proctor or administrator available in your area. You are allowed to seek out your own proctor for this exam.

This proctor must be a supervisor or former supervisor/employer, community proctor (i.e. librarian, etc.), or faculty/school administrator. He or she must be proficient in English and be able to use the internet after the test to upload your exam. You will not be allowed to use spell/grammar check, the internet or other devices/reference guides during the test. When you are able to find a proctor, please forward this link to him/her and have them fill it out:

https://fs18.formsite.com/CUJournalismAdmissions/form77/index.html

Any misrepresentation of your proctor or false information on this form will lead to an automatic withdrawal of your application. Upon receipt and approval of this form, we will email him/her the writing test and instructions within 2-3 business days. You will need to connect with your proctor to find an appropriate date and time to take the test. Students may NOT use their own computer to take the test.

The deadline to complete the Writing Test is Sunday, January 24th, 2016.

***MANDATORY: YOU MUST HAVE THE EMAIL ADDRESS AND PASSWORD ASSOCIATED WITH YOUR ADMISSION APPLICATION TO BE ABLE TO LOG IN TO THE WRITING TEST. BRING THAT INFORMATION WITH YOU TO THE TEST. YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO TAKE THE TEST WITHOUT THAT INFORMATION. AGAIN, TO BE ABLE TO LOG IN TO THE WRITING TEST, YOU NEED TO USE YOUR APPLICATION EMAIL ADDRESS AND PASSWORD. 

Feel free to contact us with further questions. Good luck and happy holidays!

Sincerely,

The Office of Admission & Financial Aid

Columbia Journalism School

I received two emails with different deadlines for the Writing Test. One said the deadline is Jan 24, and the other said the deadline is Jan 31. Can someone confirm the actual date? I'm an applicant of the MS Program

I was really worried about my exams as well. I ended up calling the office and requesting a proctor in SF. I was lucky that a proctor was available on short notive and I took my test about 1.5 weeks ago. I would suggest pestering the office and calling. When I got someone on the phone, they were very helpful. While I did get a couple email responses, the phone was much more efficient! 

Good luck!

• 5 weeks later...