Excitement

Ziz

None of my friends have ever applied to grad school and therefore can't share in my excitement right now. I had been corresponding with an old professor who was helping me with my research proposal (what we use in the UK instead of an SOP) and unbeknownst to me, she passed it along to a colleague. Well, that colleague just emailed me and said he's very interested in my proposal and would like to take me on as a PhD student next year!!! Obviously I still have to formally apply, but given the fact that HE contacted ME and said he wanted to supervise me (in conjunction with another person who he has also shown my proposal to), I find it hard to believe I wouldn't be admitted. It's not my first choice of program, but just having an almost acceptance in my backpocket gives me so much more confidence and means that I don't need to waste my money on safety schools, etc. Whee!!

None of my friends have ever applied to grad school and therefore can't share in my excitement right now. I had been corresponding with an old professor who was helping me with my research proposal (what we use in the UK instead of an SOP) and unbeknownst to me, she passed it along to a colleague. Well, that colleague just emailed me and said he's very interested in my proposal and would like to take me on as a PhD student next year!!! Obviously I still have to formally apply, but given the fact that HE contacted ME and said he wanted to supervise me (in conjunction with another person who he has also shown my proposal to), I find it hard to believe I wouldn't be admitted. It's not my first choice of program, but just having an almost acceptance in my backpocket gives me so much more confidence and means that I don't need to waste my money on safety schools, etc. Whee!!

Whoa, congrats. This has to make the whole process a little easier.

Congratulations! I'm sure that if you do end up choosing this program, working with an enthusiastic and friendly supervisor will make it a good experience.

Funny how graduate admissions is the ONE thing that is more formalized and bureaucratic in the US than in the UK. My tutors over here are horrified when I talk to them about all the crap I have to do for US applications, which they think serves no purpose and is silly (coughGREcough).

I'm going to share in your excitement the best way I know how -- by being uber jealous!!!!! YAY!

Haha that's probably what I will be doing when everyon else's Harvard and Princeton acceptances start coming in :).

I also finding this whole process extremely exciting. The only two people I know that are applying to grad school are sort of blah about it. "Well I just have to do it to be a [insert future profession.]" But I am just so pumped with the thought of joining a lab that does what I want to do.

Also, it's super exciting when faculty I contact are very receptive to me, but I haven't had anyone contact me first! Good job with being such hot PhD material! B)