LoR

Jen3225

Hi!

I'm wondering how people generally handle letter of recommendation. Do the recommenders sent them directly to the school? I know for medical school admissions there are websites that the letters are uploaded to and then they can be distributed to schools.

Additionally, I graduated in 2007, so I have been out of school for a few years. I will have my current functional manager and a professor that I did research for write letters. I'm not too sure who I can have as a third one. I have a professor that I had a few different classes with, so he would be a bit more familiar with my work, but there is no guarantee that he remembers me at this point. Or I could have a project manager from work that I have worked with frequently over the past few years. It is more current, but he obviously does not know my academic abilities. Are academic references better than industry ones if the school does not specify? Does anyone have experience asking current managers for LoR? It's a bit awkward since applications are due in January but I wouldn't want to leave my job until August.

Thanks!

Jen

Read the instructions on how to submit letters of rec. Some schools require you send them -online sime by snail mail. read the applcationc arefully to find out and follow the instructions.

Have academics write the letters for you unless your employee etc. is highly related to your field in which you plan to pursue your degree.If you do this, don't be afraid to ask an employer. They should be happy you want to pursue highe ed. There a re a lot of people who need jobs now so it wouldn't be a problem for them to find someone to take your place.

Send your recommenders some reminders (like a paper you wrote for a class). See them in person or talk to them on the phone. Aske them "Do you think you'd be able to write a letter in ym favor..." and, "what do you think you'd be able to say?". Send them an updated CV.

Best of luck.

Most schools allow (and prefer) online LOR submission. Those that don't - some will want the writer to send the letter themselves; whenever that's not the case, it's better to pick up the letter and send it yourself along with the rest of your app - that way you know when it left and can track it, and the chances of it being lost are smaller.

If you're applying to research-based programs then you should have at least two recommendations from professors who can tell the adcomms about your ability to do research. If your programs are practical/industry oriented, then two letters from former employers could be ok.

When you have professional work experience, typically asking your manager is ok. But the situation isn't an easy one. Letting your employer know that you may be leaving isn't ideal -- there's always a chance they'll take the opportunity to lay you off. Only you know what kind of relationship you have with them... good luck!

• 1 year later...

For schools that do not give any further directions on how to submits LORs, is it assumed that the letters should be included within the application envelope?

Most schools prefer that your recommenders send them in directly. In the rare case I mailed in the letters myself in packet with the rest of my materials, I did so because I was expressly asked to by the program. If you DO mail them in yourself along with your other materials, ensure that your writers have signed the envelope along the seal.

The very best thing to do is to have professors upload their LoR online, along with your application proper. (I'm assuming you'll mostly be submitting electronic apps because very, very few schools these days ask for, let alone accept, paper applications.) Some online systems allow you to invite your writers to upload their letter whenever you'd like, once you've started the application; others don't notify your writers that they can upload their letter until after you've finished the entire application and submitted it, along with the fee.