Ohio State University

As a current OSU attendee, I want to say three important things: 1. OSU tends to notify early, so I'm not surprised if people are seeing movement now. 2. OSU notifies over a span of time w/ fellowship people getting contacted first. 3. Feel free to send any OSU/Columbus-related questions my way :D

Edit: One more thing. I noticed that my status changed on the Portal approximately 2-3 days before I got the call from the DGS.

Edited by toasterazzi

1 hour ago, Wyatt's Terps said:

What is this "Ohio State University" of which you speak? Perhaps you are confused with THE Ohio State University? :P

The funny thing about this is that I tried to just say Ohio State University when I introduced myself to people at a national conference last year, and folks kept correcting me haha.

3 hours ago, toasterazzi said:

As a current OSU attendee, I want to say three important things: 1. OSU tends to notify early, so I'm not surprised if people are seeing movement now. 2. OSU notifies over a span of time w/ fellowship people getting contacted first. 3. Feel free to send any OSU/Columbus-related questions my way :D

Edit: One more thing. I noticed that my status changed on the Portal approximately 2-3 days before I got the call from the DGS.

Ah, okay. Thanks so much for the info! I heard something along the same lines from a friend who attends OSU, but it's a little more comforting to hear it from multiple sources. :lol:

At least you folks got "under review". I've been pending with OSU since December 2nd. Two of my schools notified within a month of their deadline (one was 2 weeks), so it's time to get a move on!

57 minutes ago, bhr said:

At least you folks got "under review". I've been pending with OSU since December 2nd. Two of my schools notified within a month of their deadline (one was 2 weeks), so it's time to get a move on!

Well, if I click application status, it takes me to a page that says "pending," but that's a link, which takes at least me to yet another page where it says the app's in review. Maybe the same for you?

So I saw this thread and immediately made an account so I could post.  I'm the one who posted the acceptance to Ohio State.  Do they really admit fellowship candidates early?  I don't have an official offer yet, just the portal notification.  Funding is obviously a huge priority, I do not have piles of cash laying around to spend on a program (or even a semester) out of pocket.

Congratulations to everyone on their acceptances!  OSU is the only one I've heard back from so far.

Update:  I just got my official offer email.  Absolutely no mention of funding/fellowship at all.  Does this mean there is none?  I won't be able to attend if I can't get funding.  They did say a "Notice of Admission" letter will be coming by post in a few days--any chance that could have information on funding that the email doesn't?  Kind of freaking out, here.

Edited by underwater

2 hours ago, underwater said:

Update:  I just got my official offer email.  Absolutely no mention of funding/fellowship at all.  Does this mean there is none?  I won't be able to attend if I can't get funding.  They did say a "Notice of Admission" letter will be coming by post in a few days--any chance that could have information on funding that the email doesn't?  Kind of freaking out, here.

You'll get more details when you get a phone call from Aman Garcha, so keep your phone around you for the next few days. If you're up for fellowship, which, as others have said, is probably the case if you were admitted this early, then your name is submitted to the Graduate School, which controls all the university-wide fellowships. Now, I have to say that being considered for the university fellowships isn't the same as being awarded one (as I initially believed). I gather that last year only about half of the department's suggestions for fellowships were approved by the graduate school.

I don't say this all freak you out or let you down. You've reason to be optimistic, but know that it's not a sure thing yet. 

1 minute ago, Ramus said:

You'll get more details when you get a phone call from Aman Garcha, so keep your phone around you for the next few days. If you're up for fellowship, which, as others have said, is probably the case if you were admitted this early, then your name is submitted to the Graduate School, which controls all the university-wide fellowships. Now, I have to say that being considered for the university fellowships isn't the same as being awarded one (as I initially believed). I gather that last year only about half of the department's suggestions for fellowships were approved by the graduate school.

I don't say this all freak you out or let you down. You've reason to be optimistic, but know that it's not a sure thing yet. 

Thanks so much!  You're amazing just for responding.  I'm early modern lit as well.  Any idea about the state of funding, not including fellowships?  Obviously a fellowship would be fantastic, but just having tuition covered and a small stipend might make it possible to actually attend.

3 minutes ago, underwater said:

Thanks so much!  You're amazing just for responding.  I'm early modern lit as well.  Any idea about the state of funding, not including fellowships?  Obviously a fellowship would be fantastic, but just having tuition covered and a small stipend might make it possible to actually attend.

As far as I know, the base package is still free tuition + health care + 16K with a 1/1 teaching load. If the fellowship doesn't come through, that'll be their offer. 

If you want the skinny on anything specifically related to the early modern program and/or faculty, feel free to PM me. 

54 minutes ago, Rmiriam said:

I got my acceptance email early this morning, too!

Excellent! :) I got a call saying they're nominating me for a fellowship and funding information would come along with a call from the DGS in a few days, so no need to panic about funding.  Of course, I might have been the only one panicking about funding.  Or just panicking in general.

19 hours ago, Ramus said:

As far as I know, the base package is still free tuition + health care + 16K with a 1/1 teaching load. If the fellowship doesn't come through, that'll be their offer. 

Another current OSU grad here: Just adding that the stipend is slightly lower if you do not have an MA. The school offers a health care subsidy that covers 85% of the cost of your (and any dependents') premium, and there are many opportunities at OSU for fellowships outside the initial university offer (though winning a fellowship comes with an added bump to your stipend by a few thousand dollars per year after the end of the fellowship). Also, everyone is funded in the program.

EDIT: Like the others, I'm very happy to talk more about the program through PM, especially for those rhet/comp admits looking to connect with current students.

Edited by Chadillac