Safety Schools and quality training

chicagosociology

Hi all,

I am applying to PhD programs for fall 2010, I am not the strongest candidate (weak GRE scores), my undergraduate GPA in Sociology is great, my cumulative improved my last years and I also took courses post bachelors in which I received strong marks.

I am 27, and have worked on a clinical research project at one of the top 10 universities, albeit mostly in an administrative role. I have applied to schools mainly based on the premise that there are two faculty members there who are doing research that I would be interested in doing (Religion and Race/Ethnicity for now). The schools that I am applying to are ranked in the 20s, 30s, and some in the 50s (safety schools).

My question is, how concerned should I be if I only get admitted to a safety school? I'd be concerned about availability of funding, program quality, and finishing and getting a decent position afterwards with going to a lower tiered school. Because I'm not a shining candidate, this is a real cause of concern for me.

Any input would be appreciated.

Honestly, and I welcome others' feedback as well, but I've learned that you should ONLY apply to schools where you know you want to attend. This year is going to be too difficult as far as admissions, funding is going to be limited, and if you get in somewhere with funding...you need to make your applications count. Don't waste money on applications if they aren't places that look like good fits, regardless of rank.

If you have a job and it's an option to wait another year (perhaps when the economy is better), apply to places that you'd only really want to go (apparently the safety schools aren't places you really want to go), and work on building your resume in the next year. Then apply again.

My advisers have told me that if it is a good fit and a lower ranked school, I should still apply but plan to work hard to shine (get published, attend conferences, get my name out). The funding is better at the top schools, but lower schools do have funding as well, and you will know about it before attending.

As for quality of the education, I am not sure. You would have to visit and get a real feel, maybe talk to some current or former grad students. Find out if the program has a strength in your area of study. I am applying to schools that range from #3 on USNWR to 57!

• 2 weeks later...

I am in a similar situation. I agree with captiv8ed, I think if it's a good fit you should definitely still apply and see how you feel after you have offers. If you want to teach, placements are difficult at lower-ranked schools so keep that in mind.

best,

SA

Thanks to everyone for their replies.

The safety schools are actually places that I would be interested in going, the faculty at those schools are publishing and are researching interesting and relevant topics, so I will apply to them. I'm more concerned about funding at safety schools, and I also need to make sure that I work my butt off to "shine." But they are definitely good fits for me.

I've been measuring the quality of the education by looking at the number of PhDs received per year vs. the number of MAs, also looking at the quality of the placement for each grad (college, university, research org, or wal-mart cashier. lol.....jk) Most of the programs I've been looking at post these statistics.

I can only really afford to apply to about 5-6 programs this year, so I have to make each one count.

I am in a similar situation. I agree with captiv8ed, I think if it's a good fit you should definitely still apply and see how you feel after you have offers. If you want to teach, placements are difficult at lower-ranked schools so keep that in mind.

best,

SA