Canadian Schools?

Ladyfriend

Hi,

I have found a lot of information on the quality of Sociology programs and their rankings for U.S. schools, but I am also considering applying to McGill University and University of Toronto. Does anyone have any idea how those programs are or where the might be a ranking of Canadian schools?

I'm especially interested in qualitative or ethnographic research and its use in welfare and health policy, so any US school suggestions would also be welcomed!

Thanks.

Hi,

I have found a lot of information on the quality of Sociology programs and their rankings for U.S. schools, but I am also considering applying to McGill University and University of Toronto. Does anyone have any idea how those programs are or where the might be a ranking of Canadian schools?

I'm especially interested in qualitative or ethnographic research and its use in welfare and health policy, so any US school suggestions would also be welcomed!

Thanks.

I asked my advisor about McGill, as they have a program that would suit me quite well, and he suggested that they are like a Canadian Harvard. I spoke with a friend who lived in Canada for ten years or so, and her impression was similar--that McGill is Canada's top university. I've heard Toronto is up there to; maybe in the top five amongst Canadian schools.

I asked my advisor about McGill, as they have a program that would suit me quite well, and he suggested that they are like a Canadian Harvard. I spoke with a friend who lived in Canada for ten years or so, and her impression was similar--that McGill is Canada's top university. I've heard Toronto is up there to; maybe in the top five amongst Canadian schools.

Most Canadians see U of T as above McGill. Americans see McGill as above U of T, though I don't know where that comes from.

UBC is good for sociology, and probably third, or fourth, after McGill and Toronto (and maybe Alberta) in terms of overall rep.

Sharon Hays is at USC. She wrote "Flat Broke with Children: Women in the Age of Welfare Reform", which is amazing. Paul Lichtermann and others are there as well, who are really into ethnographic methods.