Interviewing at a place with multiple POI

dirkwww

I am interviewing at a school next week where I will be interviewing with 5 POIs. I have 2 top choices and the other 3 i had to list but I am not super stoked on their research. The program format is once you get accepted you do rotations and pick a PI. How should i prepare for this? DO i need to know all 5s research front and back or just my main two? Any advice?

2 hours ago, dirkwww said:

I am interviewing at a school next week where I will be interviewing with 5 POIs. I have 2 top choices and the other 3 i had to list but I am not super stoked on their research. The program format is once you get accepted you do rotations and pick a PI. How should i prepare for this? DO i need to know all 5s research front and back or just my main two? Any advice?

Is this school a cohort model by chance? It sounds like the university of north Dakotas clinical program (where I got my undergrad degree). For their interview process, you interview with a few POIs and choose by the end of their first semester whom they want to work with. Anyways, I'm happy to reach out to some of my friends who are in UNDs grad program to see what their interview experience was like. Feel free to PM me! 

14 hours ago, AWishinAndAHopin said:

I have an interview at UND and would greatly appreciate if you would pass along any information or advice from your friends!

That's awesome! Who are you interviewing with (if you're comfortable sharing and feel free to PM me)? Do you have any specific questions? I can ask one of my friends when I see her today. Congrats on the interview :) 

On January 28, 2016 at 6:20 PM, Johnic73 said:

Is this school a cohort model by chance? It sounds like the university of north Dakotas clinical program (where I got my undergrad degree). For their interview process, you interview with a few POIs and choose by the end of their first semester whom they want to work with. Anyways, I'm happy to reach out to some of my friends who are in UNDs grad program to see what their interview experience was like. Feel free to PM me! 

I guess my question is how do I prepare for this? Should i try and read everyones papers or focus on top 3 or something.

I would consider knowing general research interests of everyone you'll be interviewing with, but know more in depth about your top three. Depending on how you completed your application (like selected advisors to look at your application) and/or if you included advisors in your statement of purpose, the additional interviewers (the ones you aren't particularly interested in) will probably be aware that your research interests don't match with theirs. My advisor explained to me that in cases like this they are interviewing you for other reasons such as general fit with the program, abilities, past experience, etc. Being prepared in general for all of them would be important because they will all be evaluating you, but I think focusing your efforts (e.g., reading their past work) on your top three would be a good idea. I would still ask an experienced mentor (like a past advisor) for advice as well.