Did anyone else here apply Berkeley LMS?

FoxAndChicken

22 hours ago, tarofang said:

I did. Probably not going to get in... I said I'm interested philosophy of language and formal epistemology. 

Good luck, though! ^_^ My writing sample was kind of in that area... I didn't have a ton of papers strictly using logic, since those kinds of classes are typically problem sets. So my paper was supporting one way of using logic in philosophy of language over another. 

• 2 weeks later...

I also applied - do we know if anyone has heard back from them yet? I know math and philosophy acceptances are already out, so I don't know if I should despair. I got into Irvine LPS though, so I'm happy I can go somewhere to pursue my interests. I have broad interests, but with respect to Berkeley, I'm particularly interested in doing set theory, with an eye towards exploring philosophical questions about the justification for additional axioms (like large cardinals and reflection principles) and answering questions like the Continuum hypothesis that are independent of the axioms. (Unfortunately, Hugh Woodin recently left to Harvard though, but they still have John Steel...) I'm also interested in model theory/computability theory, more general quesstions in the philosophy of logic/mathematics, and lastly formal epistemology.

2 hours ago, o m g said:

I also applied - do we know if anyone has heard back from them yet? I know math and philosophy acceptances are already out, so I don't know if I should despair. I got into Irvine LPS though, so I'm happy I can go somewhere to pursue my interests. I have broad interests, but with respect to Berkeley, I'm particularly interested in doing set theory, with an eye towards exploring philosophical questions about the justification for additional axioms (like large cardinals and reflection principles) and answering questions like the Continuum hypothesis that are independent of the axioms. (Unfortunately, Hugh Woodin recently left to Harvard though, but they still have John Steel...) I'm also interested in model theory/computability theory, more general quesstions in the philosophy of logic/mathematics, and lastly formal epistemology.

I don't think we'll hear back for about a week and a half, if last year is any indication. They seem to get a little later each year, but I don't have a ton of data. I'm taking set theory now! It's cool stuff. Working on well orderings and stuff. Did you apply Harvard also?

Cool, thanks for the info! And yah, I also applied to Harvard, since they also have Peter Koellner working in the philosophy/math of set theory. I'm also a fan of Ned Hall.

I was going to apply Harvard, but I had so many apps on one day that I decided against it. Also, if I get shut out, I can apply again next year and they won't have seen my application. Reading their site was so nice because it validated that what I do is indeed a thing. :D I'm the first/only logic major at my school, so it's a lot of floating between the math and philosophy departments. :blink:

52 minutes ago, o m g said:

Just curious - what other schools did you apply to?

Order which I applied: Stanford, Berkeley, Princeton, Yale, UMich, Carnegie Mellon, and Tufts. 

I don't want to preference rank them because I will be ecstatic if I get into any one of them, and definitely don't expect to get into multiple. Ergo, if I am in a scenario of having to decide, I'll figure it out, but I won't anticipate being in that position. 

Where did you apply?

Edited by FoxAndChicken

I applied to several, partly to increase my chances, partly because my interests are broad (in addition to logicky stuff, also traditional M&E, Phil mind, Phil physics). 

Irvine and Berkeley (LPS), CUNY (math), Harvard, Princeton, NYU, Michigan, Notre dame, Stanford, Rutgers, and MIT (philosophy). 

All of that sounds really cool! I've never taken a physics course. Actually, my science courses in general are pretty lacking. I had to plan out every class I wanted to take when I was a sophomore because I decided to make my own major. Since I wanted to take upper level/graduate coursework in multiple departments, I needed to do prereqs in Linguistics, Philosophy, Math, and CS. Between that and my history minor, I ate up all of my electives. :/ No regrets, though! Interesting stuff, for sure. What is your background? I'm finishing up my senior year at UMich.