Is it "sooner" or "later" yet?

ocd

It seems the trend is that acceptances come early and rejections take their own sweet time. Today is March 2nd. Is it sooner or later yet? Waiting to hear from two UCs.

ocd -- yeah, that's definitely the trend. at the same time though, some programs specifically say they'll be sending out letters at certain times (ie, "late march," "mid-march," etc.) I've heard that from two programs already. so, i'm still apprehensive, but not as much as i would be. why not shoot an email over to the program of interest and inquire about when they'll send out decision letters? it cant hurt, after all.

Thanks for your response. I'm starting to think that it may very well be "later" at the schools I applied to because I just learned that "Admit Weekend" is in mid March. If I were in, you'd think they would have informed me by now, especially since I would need to travel from out of state. It's like hearing about a cool party and not getting an invitation and I am struggling to stave off impulsive decisions motivated out of a growing sense of self-pity -- like moving to China!

So many passionate, intelligent people, so few spots in grad school. You would think it would be in country's interest to see that we got some training somewhere in our fields of choice, rather than get discouraged and become bitter toward the system. None of us would be doing this to ourselves if we weren't capable enough to get this far. Seems the university system is a dot.com rather than a dot.edu, but I digress....

My suspicion is that those of us who haven't heard a peep yet have been waitlisted. Maybe there will be a second round "Admit Weekend" for us where we can all pop some valium together, eat some day-old bread and embrace the institutions we are all beginning to loathe. :cry:

Barring that, China plans to open 135 new universities in the next ten years and they are hungry for highly-qualified foreign :twisted: s.

ocd said:
My suspicion is that those of us who haven't heard a peep yet have been waitlisted. Maybe there will be a second round "Admit Weekend" for us where we can all pop some valium together, eat some day-old bread and embrace the institutions we are all beginning to loathe. ?

Barring that, China plans to open 135 new universities in the next ten years and they are hungry for highly-qualified foreign :twisted: s.

I'm hoping for waitlisted...I just wish I got ANY kind of notification. From looking at this site and http://www.applycorner.com, I've seen people in my schools that have received notifications either way. These sites have just made me even more crazy.

China? Eh...

what programs are you all waiting to hear from? i've applied to masters programs in public policy/affairs, and am waiting to hear back from berkeley gspp (public policy), harvard ksg (public policy) and columbia sipa (public administration). i think i'm doing ok so far -- berkeley said they'll mail out decision laters in "mid-march," and for columbia its mid to late-march, so that makes me feel a little bit better. i guess i have a bit more time before i start freaking out.

Yay, good luck to you guys. It's all I can do to keep from making the "suicidal" move of writing or calling to ask for results, but I will forbear. No news is better than bad news, or so they say....

I couldn't stand the wait either, so I mailed programs I hadn't heard from. In one case, I received an acceptance (it had just been decided that day!) in one case, I received a rejection, and in one case, I was told that they were still deliberating and encouraged to follow up with them. I think it's better to know, even if it's bad news.

China's (and Taiwan) aren't so bad. If you're serious, you should look into the Department of Education grants given for Master's and PhD studies in Taiwan. I'm on a two-year scholarship here in Taiwan, where I'm studying art history. Of course, I'd like to hear back from schools so that I can LEAVE Taiwan, but at least I know that I can stay here should I fail utterly.

Waiting is killing me, especially as I stay up late checking my application status online during office hours in the States...

Just heard back from Penn State. They said that they'll have a decision by the end of this week/early next week. That means it's not a rejection yet!! (people have already been accepted and rejected to the program, so I've been freaking out!)

The grad director at Temple said I'll be hearing from him in 2-3 weeks.

Got a rejection letter from WashU...very first one. ?

Ugh, still no word from UCSC's school of engineering, anyone heard from any of their grad programs? Ive even checked Yuster and Applycorner and it doesnt look like anyone from any program has heard anything, but its always hard to tell with them.... im not encouraged though seeing their admitted grad BBQ set for march 16th.....

Called my schools today, just 'cause I couldn't stand it any longer... :shock: I can tell you, they haven't exactly broken any speed records getting back to me... Must have been the heavy breathing! I am, however, brushing up my Chinese, just in case! No matter what, somebody's gonna be supporting my ass next year- take it to the bank!