UC Riverside

Hi all,

Just wanted to make a space for students applying to/accepted to (once decisions are out) to ask any questions and connect with each other and current grads! 

In the meantime, if there are any questions, please feel free to ask away!

On 1/29/2016 at 0:06 AM, rdsull89 said:

Hi all,

Just wanted to make a space for students applying to/accepted to (once decisions are out) to ask any questions and connect with each other and current grads! 

In the meantime, if there are any questions, please feel free to ask away!

Hello! I applied to UCR for English and for Ethnic Studies (and even for Comparative Literature, though I doubt I'd be accepted). No real questions as of yet besides the normal inquiry: anyone heard anything?  

Applied to the UCR Entomology Program, haven't heard anything back either. 

Asked my POI and my application hasn't been looked at yet.

Question: How do graduate students procure housing? If I come, I'll be moving from the east coast with my dog. Is it typically easy to find 2 or 3 roommates?

Hello all!!

So, a few things: 

Every department is different (sorry, no insight on entomology :( ) but ours does an incredibly thorough look through applications and really weighs fit above all else. Our admissions director is astounding at her job. Our goal for a cohort is 12 though the actual number varies from year to year, as does the number of acceptances. We always admit more than the target, just because there will always be a few rejected offers, but the actual number often depends on the committee and the pool. I have no inside knowledge this year as to when acceptances will be notified, but I would say, safely, to look for them in the next few weeks. 

It is easy to find housing--we have a roommate match forum for grad students and I've heard lots of good results (and a few misses, but that's expected). Riverside isn't the cheapest place, but compared to the cities most UCs are in, we're pretty affordable, so splitting a house 2 or 3 ways is a great option, as is splitting an apartment, and living in a 1 bedroom alone is always an option, though can be tighter. 

And, yes we do offer TAships. It varies by department (so ETS, Comp Lit, and Ent, I don't know much about) but for us, the standard package is 1 year of fellowship (your first year) and then 4 years guaranteed TAship through the writing program teaching comp. We admit responsibly and make sure our students all have the best financial support we can give. (The program is 6 years, the 6th year the hope is you get a fellowship to finish your dissertation, but you can also teach comp or a few other things too--as far back as I know everyone who is in their 6th year has gotten a TAship if needed, and sometimes extended beyond that). We also offer a limited number of English TAships for a British, American, and "Alt Critical Perspecitves" (race/class/gender/sexuality) survey classes which are selected yearly, based on the professors teaching the classes, but the goal is everyone does it at least once, if not twice during their time here. There are also occasionally opportunities to TA in gender and sexuality, comp lit, media and cultural studies, etc. 

@rdsull89 Thank you so much for your response! Knowing the target number of applicants is so helpful to know because it puts things in a little bit more perspective. So, I won't be AS upset when that rejection comes via email. ;)

59 minutes ago, rdsull89 said:

And, yes we do offer TAships. It varies by department (so ETS, Comp Lit, and Ent, I don't know much about) but for us, the standard package is 1 year of fellowship (your first year) and then 4 years guaranteed TAship through the writing program teaching comp. We admit responsibly and make sure our students all have the best financial support we can give. (The program is 6 years, the 6th year the hope is you get a fellowship to finish your dissertation, but you can also teach comp or a few other things too--as far back as I know everyone who is in their 6th year has gotten a TAship if needed, and sometimes extended beyond that). We also offer a limited number of English TAships for a British, American, and "Alt Critical Perspecitves" (race/class/gender/sexuality) survey classes which are selected yearly, based on the professors teaching the classes, but the goal is everyone does it at least once, if not twice during their time here. There are also occasionally opportunities to TA in gender and sexuality, comp lit, media and cultural studies, etc. 

This is all so helpful to know! I felt like I was pretty familiar with the program when I submitted the app, but I really had no idea how the funding/TAShips broke down since I couldn't find a way to navigate that information on the program website. Since I'm going to specialize in gender/queer/sexuality studies, I'm so enticed by the "Alt Critical Perspectives." I would love to get to do something like that while I pursue my PhD. I'm always really impressed by a program that gives you opportunities to teach something outside of freshman composition before it's time to hit the job market. What's the teaching load per quarter/term? 

Yay! We're really working hard to pull a lot together around queer studies--one option for that too, once further along in the program, is summer teaching. During the summer we can apply to teach Queer Studies (being renamed from LGBT Studies) classes. Last summer I taught intro to LGBT Studies. I had 7 students, and it was the best teaching experience ever. 

Our workload is 1 class per quarter, every quarter when not on fellowship. 

Very cool. I admire UCR's commitment to race and ethnicity as well, and I would be overjoyed to meet with Fred Moten even if just as an admirer. The department seems committed to minor theory in general, which is really exciting. Thanks again for your responsiveness! 

1 hour ago, rdsull89 said:

Yay! We're really working hard to pull a lot together around queer studies--one option for that too, once further along in the program, is summer teaching. During the summer we can apply to teach Queer Studies (being renamed from LGBT Studies) classes. Last summer I taught intro to LGBT Studies. I had 7 students, and it was the best teaching experience ever. 

Our workload is 1 class per quarter, every quarter when not on fellowship. 

That's really awesome. I'm so glad it's a 1:1 ratio when you're not on fellowship. I feel like a 2:1 ratio would be unbearable. I would love to hear more about your experience teaching Queer Studies! 

Yep! We have huge strengths in race/ethnic studies and gender/queer studies. Part of it is because we, as a campus, are the most diverse UC and most of our students are first gen college students. It's such an interesting place to be. 

Yeah, 1 class per quarter is great. It gives tons of experience but not overwhelming. 

Hi! I was accepted to UCR's Ethnic Studies phd program, and have a few questions-- I'm wondering what most students do when they don't receive summer funding? I have a four year package but does not include summers. I'm also wondering if most grad students live on campus or off campus. On campus seems appealing to me because I don't have a drivers license, but if off-campus is significantly cheaper or nicer I would try to get one this summer! And, do you think there are many opportunities to meet other grad students or people outside of your department? thank you for your help!!! 

1 minute ago, tomato8 said:

Hi! I was accepted to UCR's Ethnic Studies phd program, and have a few questions-- I'm wondering what most students do when they don't receive summer funding? I have a four year package but does not include summers. I'm also wondering if most grad students live on campus or off campus. On campus seems appealing to me because I don't have a drivers license, but if off-campus is significantly cheaper or nicer I would try to get one this summer! And, do you think there are many opportunities to meet other grad students or people outside of your department? thank you for your help!!! 

Hi! There isn't really on "on campus" option that is viable--there is cheap family housing, but there's a waiting list. That said, most all the apartments that grads live in are walking distance, and theres a bus that comes around to them so its totally doable. It is SoCal so it isn't easy to live without a car or a roommate without a car, because most of the stores are not super close. 

Summer funding depends. ETS has some summer teaching opportunities but it sounds like they are variable, so usually later in the program there is summer adjuncting, but for now, usually people end up finding a summer job (like teaching test prep classes, etc.)  

2 minutes ago, rdsull89 said:

Hi! There isn't really on "on campus" option that is viable--there is cheap family housing, but there's a waiting list. That said, most all the apartments that grads live in are walking distance, and theres a bus that comes around to them so its totally doable. It is SoCal so it isn't easy to live without a car or a roommate without a car, because most of the stores are not super close. 

Summer funding depends. ETS has some summer teaching opportunities but it sounds like they are variable, so usually later in the program there is summer adjuncting, but for now, usually people end up finding a summer job (like teaching test prep classes, etc.)  

thank you for your answer! I'm visiting in march so I'm looking forward to actually seeing what the city and campus is like. :)

Just saw some posts on the results side and wanted to clarify:

- All UC TAs are paid the same, regardless of school. We all have the same union contract. 

- UCR gives a 5 year package for students w the BA and 4 year with the MA but a 6th/5th year is never a problem. Students are encouraged to apply for fellowships for part of the time, but TAships are no problem for the last year, it just isn't put into the package. 

No--so "fellowships" (the stipend part) differs. Many schools will give 1 year of fellowship your first year (may be some differing) and that will depend on a lot of factors: the candidates background, scores, how much the school has to offer, etc. That money is for your first year in lieu of teaching. After that, when you become a TA and teach for your pay, the salary is the same for all TAs, regardless of school, and regardless of department. 

3 hours ago, rdsull89 said:

No--so "fellowships" (the stipend part) differs. Many schools will give 1 year of fellowship your first year (may be some differing) and that will depend on a lot of factors: the candidates background, scores, how much the school has to offer, etc. That money is for your first year in lieu of teaching. After that, when you become a TA and teach for your pay, the salary is the same for all TAs, regardless of school, and regardless of department. 

Hm. So I guess certain fellowships at certain UC's, even if they are ostensibly only for a certain number of years, add onto the $19,000 TA salary? I only ask because UCI offered slightly more than that each year, regardless of whether that year is a TA or fellowship year.

21 hours ago, persynanōm said:

Hm. So I guess certain fellowships at certain UC's, even if they are ostensibly only for a certain number of years, add onto the $19,000 TA salary? I only ask because UCI offered slightly more than that each year, regardless of whether that year is a TA or fellowship year.

That's correct. So despite the fact that technically all TA salaries are the same across UCs, in practice this is not exactly the case. I'm currently in a situation like you describe, for example.  

There are a couple of factors that go into it. Most TAships should be 50% appointments, and I don't have the the numbers on me, but it should be a bit higher than that. One thing that may happen if there is no visible fellowship is they may calculate those yearly things different--we have wage increases coming next year and the year after, so it may take that into account, because I think we hit over 20k next year or the year after. 

Hello! I got accepted to UCR's English PhD program and wanted to ask a question. Did you visit the campus before you decided to attend? I was wondering because there was no mention of visitation events in the letter I received.

Hi eeoo,

Yes, our open house will be 3/9-3/10. I don't think it goes in the letter, but if you haven't heard from her yet, Heidi Brayman Hackel will contact you soon (there are a lot to get through, so it can take a little time). It will be a great chance to really see what we're all about and meet people you may be interested in working with. Let me know if you have more questions, or feel free to pm me! 

Hi everyone!

I have been accepted into UCR's English PhD program. I'm SO thrilled and SO overwhelmed about my next steps.

I'm a newbie to this website as well as to the whole graduate school thing, in that, until last year I did not even know that I could attempt a fully-funded PhD after a BA. So my questions/assumptions/musings might be extremely naive and/or strange. Bear with me, and please feel free to respond with any and all advice!

A little background: I'm an international student from Sri Lanka. My parents sold our home in 2010 to send me to Ventura College in Ventura, CA. I graduated, worked for a year to save up for CSU Channel Islands, and just graduated from there as well. I live with wonderful host parents who have made it so that for the past six years, I have only had to worry about paying tuition. No rent, no bills, no groceries, nothing. I worked to pay for tuition, but that means that I'm arriving at UCR with no savings.

With that in mind, my main concern is keeping myself alive in or around UCR with the stipend I'll be receiving. And that is impacted a lot by housing, so that's my main concern right now. I have no reference timeline for how fast housing gets filled up; does anyone have a date that they feel like would be the cut-off point after which you would not risk waiting to accept the offer of admission?

I'm waiting to accept because I still have to hear back from UCB Rhetoric, Columbia, University of Michigan, UC Davis, Syracuse University, and Stony Brook University. A few of them are going to have the Program Chair/Director contact me. Syracuse said 3-4 more weeks, and the graduate coordinator at Columbia told me the favorable comments faculty in the field have left on my application (apparently the committee hasn't met yet?). I'm so confused! 

I never assumed I would be admitted anywhere - honestly. Considering my parents sacrifice, and the tight budget they have been on for the past six years, I just wanted some peace of mind knowing that I gave a free education my best shot before I went to CSUN for an MA. As a result, I never ranked my top choices. I counted how much money I would have left after paying my last tuition payment at CI, found programs that got my heart racing, and applied to 12 schools, thinking if just one came through, it would be a miracle. And now that that's happened, I'm wondering whether I should grab this offer, secure housing, and start planning my finances, or if I should stick around to see, for instance, what Syracuse says in another month (although the stress from that would drive me nuts)?

*going to look through program websites again to find fault with remaining schools now*

Thanks for reading my long post!

Edited by GSZ
Removed extra spaces