UC Riverside

Hi--

A couple things: wait until all the offers are in and you visit whatever schools are your options. It's important to find the right fit. 

That said, there is no housing, per se. Most people move out here in August or September, and you can find roommates via a housing connection that UCR has. Rent prices vary based on number of roommates and bedrooms etc. That said, international tuition is usually higher and can be difficult sometimes. Be sure to explain your situation to Prof. Brayman Hackel and see what you guys can work out together. I know that we have had international students who have made it work before, and others who haven't been able to, so you'll want to explore your options and figure out if the funding works for you. 

At this stage, just see what happens and start doing research, then you can work on figuring out what might be the best option. 

Let me know if you have questions! 

20 hours ago, rdsull89 said:

Hi--

A couple things: wait until all the offers are in and you visit whatever schools are your options. It's important to find the right fit. 

That said, there is no housing, per se. Most people move out here in August or September, and you can find roommates via a housing connection that UCR has. Rent prices vary based on number of roommates and bedrooms etc. That said, international tuition is usually higher and can be difficult sometimes. Be sure to explain your situation to Prof. Brayman Hackel and see what you guys can work out together. I know that we have had international students who have made it work before, and others who haven't been able to, so you'll want to explore your options and figure out if the funding works for you. 

At this stage, just see what happens and start doing research, then you can work on figuring out what might be the best option. 

Let me know if you have questions! 

Hi rdsull89, 

Thanks for your response! I don't have to worry about tuition because it would be taken care of through the fellowship I have been offered.

So, housing is the only real thing I need to get squared away. Tina Feldmann mentioned the studio apartments, for instance, and a couple of other options, that I then explored on the UCR housing website. I can definitely make the prices work. Is the housing department different to the "housing connection" that you mentioned? Could you clarify what you mean when you say there's no housing per se?

Edited by GSZ
Clarifying something

2 hours ago, Little Earthquakes said:

Just curious, but are all the offers/wait lists out from UCR? UCR is the only program I've applied to that's within commuting distance, so I'm dying to know my status so that I can start more seriously considering out of state opportunities.

I second this question. I plan on calling the department on Monday to find out if I'm waitlisted or rejected. 

1 hour ago, persynanōm said:

I second this question. I plan on calling the department on Monday to find out if I'm waitlisted or rejected. 

I may do the same if I don't hear from them in a week or so. I'm just really curious to know whether they're done with their recruitments. Good luck! 

@GSZ - There are campus housing options, but I've never known anyone to actually use them and find them a good option (except family housing, but thats a whole different thing). Once you accept, there is a message board to find roommates--it's generally just as cheap if not cheaper to live in an off campus apartment (which would still be really close).

@ little earthquakes and Persynanom - I believe the offer letters have been sent, the phone calls may still be coming out. Recently, there has been a very small wait list each year, so that is a possibility too. Our Grad Administrative person is out of the office Monday, so it would be best to call Tuesday or later. Good luck!!

2 minutes ago, rdsull89 said:

@GSZ - There are campus housing options, but I've never known anyone to actually use them and find them a good option (except family housing, but thats a whole different thing). Once you accept, there is a message board to find roommates--it's generally just as cheap if not cheaper to live in an off campus apartment (which would still be really close).

Do you have any idea why campus housing isn't popular? My friends here are amazed at how much cheaper on-campus housing is compared to CSU Channel Islands and other UCs. They're thinking is that it's so cheap I don't even need to consider living off campus, and I'd have the added benefit of having the university to lean on if there are any issues. I'm also a bit of an introvert so money spent on getting a space all to myself is worth it to me; my alone time is how I re-energize after interacting with others. Are on-campus options unappealing because of cost mainly, or are there other issues/experiences that I should become aware of?

Most are about on par with apartments in the area, so its not much of a savings. The cheap options, like Bannockburn isn't a good choice because its over a bunch of professional buildings and the campus sports bar. The other thing is as far as i know outside of campus housing, its all mixed, so you may end up surrounded by undergrads, which tend to be less than wonderful neighbors. There are some places close by that have studios available or 1 bedrooms for a livable price though. 

On 2/20/2016 at 1:06 PM, Little Earthquakes said:

I may do the same if I don't hear from them in a week or so. I'm just really curious to know whether they're done with their recruitments. Good luck! 

So I called and Tina, the graduate coordinator, was nice, but had some strange information: neither she nor anyone in the department can tell an applicant their status directly. It has to come from the Dean's office. She said that they are going through the waitlist now but can't tell me if I am on the waitlist or not. Overall, her advice was "if you have an offer, I suggest you take it."

This might be UC Riverside policy, though, as there are two other departments I have not heard from either and from which I also expect rejections.

I have to say I am not a fan of this policy. At least I had already assumed rejection. 

1 hour ago, persynanōm said:

So I called and Tina, the graduate coordinator, was nice, but had some strange information: neither she nor anyone in the department can tell an applicant their status directly. It has to come from the Dean's office. She said that they are going through the waitlist now but can't tell me if I am on the waitlist or not. Overall, her advice was "if you have an offer, I suggest you take it."

This might be UC Riverside policy, though, as there are two other departments I have not heard from either and from which I also expect rejections.

I have to say I am not a fan of this policy. At least I had already assumed rejection. 

Omg that sounds really strange. I really don't see why they can't directly notify applicants who have been waitlisted. 

@persynanōm and @Little Earthquakes,

Hi,

I worked at the International Programs department at CSU Channel Islands and we had a similar policy. I could not, for instance, tell a student they were admitted even if I had that information. Once the Dean's office had letters with decisions ready, I could send them to students. Mostly this is to avoid logistical errors and other issues, and in worst case scenarios, human error. I think UCR does something similar.

My UCR offer came in the form of an email from Graduate Admissions that did not explicitly state that I was accepted - it was extremely confusing. But attached was a letter from the Dean's office explaining my offer and actually stating that I was in. Still confusing, though.

Either way, good luck. And congratulations on your other schools!

• 4 weeks later...

I just found out I've been waitlisted at UC Riverside as well! Wasn't expecting this in a million years. I'm going in for contemporary American and gender/sexuality/queer studies. Do we know how their waitlist process goes? Do they typically accept student based on areas of specialization? 

Hi all,

As the wait list goes, it is different each year. Our goal is 12 students, and if we don't make that, we go to the wait list. 2 and 3 years ago we didn't go to the wait list, last year we accepted our entire wait list, so it really depends. We don't generally accept based on area, unless we have an abundance in a certain area or none in another. Typically it is based on the first offers, and then seeing where things are at. As a former waitlister, there is hope, and I know it is difficult but hang in there! Once it gets closer to the deadline, if you have other offers, be sure to check in with HBH. I don't believe we have many decisions in right now, so there isn't much info to be had, except to hang in there. :/ 

I'm not a UCR student, but I have lived in Riverside for years and currently live a few miles from the campus. If you have questions about the city proper and what it's like to live here, feel free to PM me. And good luck to each of you! It's a good school, and I am friends with two of the core professors, most particularly Steve Axelrod. Take care, and send questions if you'd like.