Fall 2016 Computer Science PhD Applicants

helo

Even though a few schools have already sent out results -- both official and unofficial -- since none of my schools have sent out official decisions, I figured it's not too late to start this thread!

I'm seeing a lot of POI calls/emails for Berkeley and Stanford acceptances on the results page, but I haven't heard anything from them, so I've nearly lost hope at this point... but maybe some professors don't feel the need to notify the students that were interested in them before the official offer? I guess we'll know for sure when the wave of official emails gets sent out! (I don't think there will be two waves, since they probably know at this point how many they need to accept in order to sufficiently fill the incoming class.)

I got an email from my would-be supervisor saying I should get an offer soon, so now fingers crossed for funding :P But I don't think everybody does that and in fact I only know because he noticed the paperwork was taking too long and was nice enough to let me know already, so you should try to be patient. I know it's hard, I was going to send him an email asking about it in the very same day he emailed me...

• 4 weeks later...

Contacted by someone who was not in my list of advisers from one university. Haven't heard anything from the other universities. Some of them are claiming to let the admission decisions be declared by March end. Applied to 7 Universities so far.

Wrote emails to each school's graduate coordinator. Got the usual response of "Your application is under review by the department and hopefully a decision will be made by April 15 or until support is available".

8 hours ago, Nirvik said:

Wrote emails to each school's graduate coordinator. Got the usual response of "Your application is under review by the department and hopefully a decision will be made by April 15 or until support is available".

Nirvik, did you receive an email from Tufts yet? I am a doctoral applicant, and I got a message a few hours after you wrote this post. It invited me to an accepted students weekend in Medford. However, the person who wrote it seemed to think I should already have been contacted by my advisor and by the school, and I have not been. My status on the application portal remains unchanged -- not "accepted" or anything like that.

Other than that, I haven't been contacted by any of my computer science programs, either. And I'm slightly suspicious Tufts did not really accept me.

Edited by RecommendedByGuyFieri

1 hour ago, RecommendedByGuyFieri said:

Nirvik, did you receive an email from Tufts yet? I am a doctoral applicant, and I got a message a few hours after you wrote this post. It invited me to an accepted students weekend in Medford. However, the person who wrote it seemed to think I should already have been contacted by my advisor and by the school, and I have not been. My status on the application portal remains unchanged -- not "accepted" or anything like that.

Other than that, I haven't been contacted by any of my computer science programs, either. And I'm slightly suspicious Tufts did not really accept me.

I have not received any email from Tufts yet. I have not been contacted by any professor as well.

3 minutes ago, RecommendedByGuyFieri said:

Sorry, Nirvik. I hope I didn't discourage you. If you are applying from India, it seems unlikely they'd ask you to travel to Boston for an open house, even if they do intend to accept you.

Not at all. I am not discouraged :) I am keeping a 50-50 on Tufts myself. If I get in, that's great. But if I don't get in, that's fine too. :) Plus, I am not putting my foot down on anything until April 15. Gonna wait till then to hear from each university. Anyways, congratulations on the admit :D