Is this an interview?

llesure

So the day after I submitted my applications I received an email from the chair of the department inviting me to a recruitment weekend.  The email said that all travel, lodging, and food expenses would be paid for by the department (luckily my undergrad is only about 20 minutes from the school so I will drive home each night and sleep there).  I just recently received the itinerary for the weekend and I will be meeting with about five different faculty for about 20 minutes each, there are several social events with faculty and students and several different presentations by both faculty and graduate students.  The itinerary also suggest we change into comfortable clothing on the second evening for dinner and bowling so I am assuming the rest of the event is considered professional.  My question is, does this sound like an interview?  I have read that it is not common for the schools to pay for the trip in its entirety.  

It does sound like an interview. But, if I were you, I'd stay in the school-provided lodging, rather than driving home each night. There may be important social time or information that you miss out on by not being where others are.

I agree its better to think of the weekend as an interview and you should stay in the lodging they're providing so you don't miss anything.  All of the activities planned are an opportunity for you to see what it would be like working with the students and faculty for the next several years and they'll be similarly evaluating you.  Go, have fun, and learn everything you can.