lost confidence

a fragrant plant

The application process has humbled my confidence quite drastically. I'm not sanguine about my prospect as many schools are taking fewer students this year due to budget cut and I'm not a super competitive candidate. I at times feel that I don't stand a chance. The 10 universities that I'm applying are ranked top 70 by US News and World Report. I am really worried that I'd end up going nowhere. I am writing my SOP and I constantly feel that I'm not good enough to do a PhD. Here is my brief profile. Do you think I have any chance of getting in? What should I emphasize in terms of maturity and academic preparation?

Graduated in 2006

GRE - the first round was abysmal. I'm going to retake it this Thursday. (That probably accounts for my anxiety)

GPA - 3.59; major:3.77; graduated with distinction from a top 40 public university in the US.

A research Master degree from a top 10 UK university.

Research experience: The first research project was an independent research carried out in 2005 and the second one was a shorter project carried out during 2008.

LOR: strong letters from two prominent professors who know me quite well; the other one is written by my undergraduate academic advisor.

Writing sample: I don't know. I sent it to my advisor and he said it was good (he's the director of graduate studies).

Work experience, collaborations and volunteer work: I've done plenty. They're all closely related to my field. I just don't know how to weave these experience into my SOP.

Publication: none. but I'm going to submit a paper to a journal next month.

All advices are welcome. Thank you in advance!

Edited by peanuttheanthro

I feel the same way, and I suspect it's normal. I can't really say much about your statistics, as I have no personal experience with admissions decisions, and also because I don't know what your field is. As for your relevant work experience, if you can't find room for it in the SOP, why not just put it in your CV?

My first choice institution says that the most important part of an application, that which carries the most weight, is the writing sample, followed by letters of recommendation and the statement of purpose. So I would say that regardless of what your GRE scores and GPA are, you should work on continuously improving these written materials as the deadlines approach. This is what I am attempting to do, to the detriment of my current coursework! Obviously GPA is important, but worrying about it won't do much good, and your GPA is pretty high anyways. As for GREs, I'm hoping for my own sake that they don't make much of a difference! Half of the reason I want to get into a PhD program (and skip doing a terminal masters next year) is that I don't ever want to take the GRE again!

The application process has humbled my confidence quite drastically. I'm not sanguine about my prospect as many schools are taking fewer students this year due to budget cut and I'm not a super competitive candidate. I at times feel that I don't stand a chance. The 10 universities that I'm applying are ranked top 70 by US News and World Report. I am really worried that I'd end up going nowhere. I am writing my SOP and I constantly feel that I'm not good enough to do a PhD. Here is my brief profile. Do you think I have any chance of getting in? What should I emphasize in terms of maturity and academic preparation?

Graduated in 2006

GRE - the first round was abysmal. I'm going to retake it this Thursday. (That probably accounts for my anxiety)

GPA - 3.59; major:3.77; graduated with distinction from a top 40 public university in the US.

A research Master degree from a top 10 UK university.

Research experience: The first research project was an independent research carried out in 2005 and the second one was a shorter project carried out during 2008.

LOR: strong letters from two prominent professors who know me quite well; the other one is written by my undergraduate academic advisor.

Writing sample: I don't know. I sent it to my advisor and he said it was good (he's the director of graduate studies).

Work experience, collaborations and volunteer work: I've done plenty. They're all closely related to my field. I just don't know how to weave these experience into my SOP.

Publication: none. but I'm going to submit a paper to a journal next month.

All advices are welcome. Thank you in advance!

Sorry I forgot to say that I have one year teaching experience at a UK university. This bit is definitely going to the SOP.

I am not in your field so this is only general advice. Your GPA looks good. If you present it the right way, moving to the UK to pursue a higher degree is a clear sign of motivation and dedication to your studies. You have research, teaching and work experience, so I don't see why you think it's not enough to be admitted to a PhD program. At this stage of the game it's not about publications, it's more about the ability to produce ones - that is, conduct independent research that contributes to the field, and it seems you're well on your way to doing that. You can talk about your research and teaching experience and the skills they've taught you. Maybe also pick one of those work experiences you mentioned and talk about it, but don't force it into your SOP if it doesn't fit. The adcom will also see your CV, and you can put a short description of your duties and accomplishments there. Good luck on the GRE!

I am not in your field so this is only general advice. Your GPA looks good. If you present it the right way, moving to the UK to pursue a higher degree is a clear sign of motivation and dedication to your studies. You have research, teaching and work experience, so I don't see why you think it's not enough to be admitted to a PhD program. At this stage of the game it's not about publications, it's more about the ability to produce ones - that is, conduct independent research that contributes to the field, and it seems you're well on your way to doing that. You can talk about your research and teaching experience and the skills they've taught you. Maybe also pick one of those work experiences you mentioned and talk about it, but don't force it into your SOP if it doesn't fit. The adcom will also see your CV, and you can put a short description of your duties and accomplishments there. Good luck on the GRE!

I agree with Fuzzylogician. and if you work your volunteer experience into your SOP in a manner that shows extracurricular experience and dedication to your field then that too is another plus.

Edited by cabenson

Yeah, I can't really speak to your chances of being admitted since I just posted a "oh god, will I get in?!" post. However, I wanted to just say you're not alone out there. The main program I'm interested in is very exclusive but my interests fit it incredibly closely. Everyone I know (including people with experience in graduate admissions) have said, "You are definitely in there!" but I'm still nervous. All it takes is reading about their 12:1 acceptance rates and a rocky evening working on my SoP and I am terrified again.

I think the best advice I can give you is the advice my boyfriend gave me. He said, "Do your best, work on the things that you feel need the most work, and don't take it personally if you don't get in the first time." Giving something your best effort is really worth it in and of itself. B)

If it helps at all, from my perspective your stats look excellent and I think you're in a pretty good place depending on what you consider a terrible GRE score. Good luck with your applications!