Penn State English 2016

Rhet/comp here, but still English. Status on the website has not updated from the original status of received by the grad school. Email from the grad secretary just said ongoing. 

Same here! Applied there for English Lit and haven't heard anything back yet, but did hear back from at least one school this morning, Boston University, so it appears notices are beginning to flow! :) 

Penn State is the only school that would be a game changer for me right now, so I'm getting very antsy!!! I'm also getting anxious and am fearing that no news is bad news, and then I'm starting to feel bad because I'm holding up my other offers because of this.

One of the undergraduate tutors in the Writing Center I work at was accepted to the Ph.D. English program at Penn State a couple of weeks ago. Their day for admitted students is coming up next week.

This doesn't necessarily mean that they've sent out all of their acceptances -- Penn State in particular is notorious for being very spotty in that regard. But it's worth mentioning regardless.

2 hours ago, Wyatt's Terps said:

One of the undergraduate tutors in the Writing Center I work at was accepted to the Ph.D. English program at Penn State a couple of weeks ago. Their day for admitted students is coming up next week.

This doesn't necessarily mean that they've sent out all of their acceptances -- Penn State in particular is notorious for being very spotty in that regard. But it's worth mentioning regardless.

Thanks for the update! Yeah, they're not very reliable in terms of communication.

Alright gang, how long are we going to give them until one of us emails them?! This is the only school I'm waiting on now, and even though I expect a rejection, I just would love to hear back already so that I can move on and be happy with life :) 

I feel like other schools have notified earlier than usual this year, so maybe we're just getting antsy because of that.

16 hours ago, klader said:

Alright gang, how long are we going to give them until one of us emails them?! This is the only school I'm waiting on now, and even though I expect a rejection, I just would love to hear back already so that I can move on and be happy with life :) 

I feel like other schools have notified earlier than usual this year, so maybe we're just getting antsy because of that.

I'm thinking like mid-March, so maybe in a week or two. I'm still waiting on Penn State and one other school, but I'm also assuming a rejection from Penn State & I'm not so sure I even want to attend the other (wish I realized that before the $85 app fee). 

I agree, I heard back from my other two schools a lot earlier than I anticipated, but I was already pretty antsy :D 

1 hour ago, bhr said:

I sent an "accept or reject me" email to the DGS last Thursday (I have other offers, and want to make a decision soon). No reply.

That's so frustrating. Most of the schools I've been in correspondence with respond within an hour and definitely by the end of the day. 

I applied to their MA program and heard back on Sunday - their administration seems to be pretty swamped right now because I was promised an email by Monday but only got it today (after asking them to hurry up). So I'd guess that PhD decisions would take a while yet.

5 hours ago, Aloice said:

I applied to their MA program and heard back on Sunday - their administration seems to be pretty swamped right now because I was promised an email by Monday but only got it today (after asking them to hurry up). So I'd guess that PhD decisions would take a while yet.

Sounds like Penn State...

As @klader said, Penn State would be the only acceptance that would be a game changer for me at this point. Has anyone emailed them about their status? I'm thinking about doing that on Monday... I had a small mistake in my application that I emailed them about a few months back and never got a response, so it's not looking so good in terms of getting a reply, unfortunately.

28 minutes ago, A blighted one said:

As @klader said, Penn State would be the only acceptance that would be a game changer for me at this point. Has anyone emailed them about their status? I'm thinking about doing that on Monday... I had a small mistake in my application that I emailed them about a few months back and never got a response, so it's not looking so good in terms of getting a reply, unfortunately.

I haven't contacted them yet, but I think I will after my campus visit next week if I don't hear back from them by then.

They're the only school I'm waiting on, and if I'm rejected, that's fine and I'll choose between my top 2. But if for some reason I'm accepted, I would have to make some hard decisions, but I just need to know!!

And I kinda want to choose a school sooner rather than later since I want to secure a lease for the fall (apparently they go quick in the town of one of my prospective programs).

How forward would be too forward? @bhr, any movement on your "accept me or reject me" email? 

Looks like decisions are rolling in from Penn St. I was just rejected via email. I did, however, send an email to the grad program assistant asking for a decision a few days ago, so I don't know if my actions expedited the notification. I have acceptances to deal with, and making those programs wait doesn't sit well with me when they didn't make me wait very long for a decision. I wasn't a strong fit with the program, but I figured I would give it a shot. Good luck and best wishes to all applicants. 

Edited by LeadersAsAnimals

I applied to the MA program, still haven't heard anything, and my status online hasn't changed. I'm assuming I'm either on some sort of unofficial waitlist, or that I have to contact someone to get the rejection. 

1 hour ago, hbr93 said:

I applied to the MA program, still haven't heard anything, and my status online hasn't changed. I'm assuming I'm either on some sort of unofficial waitlist, or that I have to contact someone to get the rejection. 

Have you contacted them already? If you haven't done so before, definitely write to them. I also applied to their MA and they've already sent me out forms to fill out for a campus visit at the end of the month.

47 minutes ago, Aloice said:

Have you contacted them already? If you haven't done so before, definitely write to them. I also applied to their MA and they've already sent me out forms to fill out for a campus visit at the end of the month.

I hadn't, mainly because it seems like other people haven't had much luck with communication. But now that you've said that, I probably will. Who's the best person to contact to actually get a response? 

4 hours ago, hbr93 said:

I hadn't, mainly because it seems like other people haven't had much luck with communication. But now that you've said that, I probably will. Who's the best person to contact to actually get a response? 

Try Cheryl A. Mohr? She's the Graduate Program Administrative Support Assistant who has been talking to me. Otherwise try Debra Hawhee, the Director of Graduate Studies.

Edited by Aloice