Apartment or Campus? - PhD Montreal

OrangeNeuro

Hi guys,

I received the official acceptance for a PhD in Montreal. So, I started with official transcripts, immigration documents and other stuff. In my application I applied also for a room in the Campus (without any detail, we will know at the end of May). I have never lived in a Campus because it is not very common in my country.

For your experience, which is the best choice: apartment / campus?

is it common to live in a Campus for a graduate student?

All the grad students in know in the city live off-campus. Montreal is a very affordable city. You should be able to afford an apartment off-campus, with or sometimes even without roommates (depending on location and how much you are willing to spend). The most important thing to know is that most leases start July 1, though you can also find decent apartments later in the summer. 

Where you live is up to you. I've only ever visited Montreal but it seems like a very commutable city with a good public transport system which makes it easier to live off campus. Most schools provide a couple of benefits to living in university subsidized housing such as free internet and direct shuttles to and from the housing. On the other hand it is sometimes much easier to find cheaper housing a little further away especially if you want certain amenities such as allows pets or a private yard.

For Montreal, I agree with fuzzy and also second the thought that most grad students live off campus, and rent in Montreal is very affordable for a big city!

However, if you are moving from a faraway country, I think it makes sense to start living on-campus at first so that's less things you have to worry about when you get settled in. If you are able to end your on-campus lease early, then that might be worth doing once you find a good place off-campus. I know that in Quebec, the typical notice to vacate is 3 months (unless it has changed since I was last there). So, in addition to July 1 being the most common lease end date, you would usually start looking for places to live 3 months before you want to move.

In general I advise living off-campus, but if you're international the first year on campus could be a blessing. I studied in Canada for my MA and chose to live in an on-campus apartment since I didn't know the area at all, was on a limited budget, and had no credit in Canada. It turned out to be a great decision, and while some of my other international friends chose to move off-campus after their first year, I stayed for a second year in my on-campus apartment. I will also say that if you're doing graduate on-campus housing, it's a great way to meet other students outside of your field. (This is how I met a ton of Engineering students from all over the world while I'm in the Humanities!)

Well....thank you all :lol:, maybe I will choose the campus. It seems to be common for international students, at least for the first year - with the awarness that it could be better moving into an apartment in the following years -

On 6/2/2016 at 6:39 PM, clinpsychopeful said:

Congratulations and welcome to Montreal! I have lived here since 2008, I did my undergraduate and MSc at McGill. If you have any other questions about the city PM me!

hey, thanks!! maybe I'll ask you something :)

ciao!!