Unofficial Skype Chat, and Other Are-You-Picking-Up-What-I'm-Putting-Downs.

Have any of you received phone/Skype/chat requests from programs of interest? The graduate advisor of one of the unis I've applied to contacted me about an informal Skype chat about my application and what their program has to offer. She sounded really interested in my research and potential fit with the program, but emphasized it wasn't a formal interview, and that they hadn't made admission decisions yet.

Is this normal, or heard-of? If so, what have your experiences been with it? This program's really, really interesting to me in terms of fit, and I'd kinda love to attend – despite it being the lowest-ranked of the four programs I've applied to.

ETA: I'd also love to hear about similar "What does this MEAN??" interactions others have had! Vent away ;)

Edited by Historiogaffe

In my experience, most "what does this MEAN??" interactions are due to applicants way over-reading everything. 

Generally, it means exactly what it says at face value. 

In your case, the graduate advisor wants to talk to you. She likes your application, but it isn't a formal interview. Probably gives her a chance to pique your interest in the program as well, since you say it's lower ranked. 

There's nothing more to it. 

In short, sometimes a cigar is just a cigar. 

Ha! I figured as much – with the rational part of my brain, at least. The other part was like, "There is something suspicious in your application and they want to smoke you out!" 95% of my brain knew this was BS. The other 5% knows that it's February :P

The interest in amping up interest in their program makes sense, as well — they're one of those that have been lower-ranked but are clearly putting the jets on in terms of raising their visibility and prestige. Very responsive to queries about placement rates, etc.