How are you paying for grad school?

sugarandspice

6 minutes ago, klader said:

You're right - a better quality of life definitely seems worth a small amount of loans (and especially the occasional alcoholic beverage!)! I have some savings that I can tap into for my first couple years in the MA program, but if/when I go on to the PhD, I'm definitely going to have to think about loans/another job/some serious budgeting skills.

Ouch, that rent is killer!! That's on the high-end at one of my prospective schools, but I actually found some for less than $600 around schools in more rural areas. I do plan on bringing my car, though.

I think tutoring would be a useful and practical thing to do on the side. Do you know if you can work at your school's writing center? (I see that you're in comparative literature, so I'm assuming that's something up your alley!). I've been asking a couple of my programs if grad students (well, mostly MA grad students in my case) are allowed to overload at the writing center. 

Thank you, I will ask. However, I think we are not allowed to work more than 50% on campus (I am international). I might tutor Chinese/ German / English on the side. If I can make $100- 150 on the side each week, I am good. I cook very well that saves money?

• 3 weeks later...

Scholarship and Loans (currently at $100k federal loans:unsure: ...I'm not even in the medical/law field:wacko:)  I still have 3 more years of schooling left. 

I have a full tuition waiver and an annual stipend for my M.S. in Biology with a concentration in Microbial and Cellular Biology. I will be a GRA my first year (this fall and next spring) and then my 2nd year I will be a GTA. Only thing I will pay for is a few fees and books.

On 2/25/2016 at 2:17 PM, svent said:

Slightly OT, but I recommend using a cheap pay-by-the-minute phone. Mine cost me like $20 and my bill runs about $25 every couple months. Considering the low pay of grad students, it amazes me how many throw away hundreds of dollars per month on their fancy iPhones. I believe it's also useful in forcing you into real socialization and not just staring at facebook 20 hours a week. I'd rather spend the extra money on decent food.

I agree!  I did this until more no contract plans came out on nationwide networks for low prices.  Now I'm happy with my dumb phones unlimited talk/text (no internet) via Cricket (which is on AT&T's network) for $25 bucks a month.  

On 2/26/2016 at 4:30 PM, WendyWonderland said:

Thank you, I will ask. However, I think we are not allowed to work more than 50% on campus (I am international). I might tutor Chinese/ German / English on the side. If I can make $100- 150 on the side each week, I am good. I cook very well that saves money?

If you do run into a restriction for on campus work then I would look into nearby campuses with writing centers.  Also test prep companies are always in need of tutors and teachers and offer evening/weekend shifts.

8 hours ago, MarineBluePsy said:

If you do run into a restriction for on campus work then I would look into nearby campuses with writing centers.  Also test prep companies are always in need of tutors and teachers and offer evening/weekend shifts.

Thank you! I think I am good for the first year now, however, I have to seriously work through the whole summer so I can get by September and October. Grad school is more like an investment. And sometimes it sucks if you don't earn money while you are young and have the urge to travel. But I think at the end it is worth it. 

I'm very fortunate to have a decent funding package for my MSc/PhD in a low cost of living city. I don't have loans, so I will save whatever I don't need to spend to live frugally. This program is also great because there are external funding options (still waiting to hear back), extra TA positions, RAships, and internships available.

I know most people are not so lucky, so best of luck to those reading!