ETH Zurich ESOP 2016

1 hour ago, thingii said:

Which continent (or if you wish to say, which country) do you live in?

It's central Europe, near to Switzerland, so, If you live in Australia as your profile says, then it will presumably take a little longer for the mail to arrive.

To those who have received acceptance letter via regular mail, what is the content of the letter? Is there any information about additional requirements/subjects that you should pursue in addition to your master's program? As far as I am concerned, they can make you take up to 30 credits additionally.

Edited by _alex_

7 hours ago, _alex_ said:

To those who have received acceptance letter via regular mail, what is the content of the letter? Is there any information about additional requirements/subjects that you should pursue in addition to your master's program? As far as I am concerned, they can make you take up to 30 credits additionally.

Yes there is info about additional requirements, max 30, based on your passed and future courses if you re still studying. I also got one course recommendation. Other than that there is the registration and the acceptance form.

On 3/3/2016 at 1:22 PM, _alex_ said:

Congrats to all accepted!

I also got accepted today for MS in Computer Science. It took 2 weeks longer for them to issue the decision as far as majority of CS decisions were made in mid of February. I have almost lost my hopes when suddenly got the decision.

Never lose your hope!

After being accepted "Withdraw" button appeared again.

Congrats.

I was waiting patiently for your result. Cause I wanna apply at ETH, but I think I have the same problem that you had. I\m lacking more than 30 credits. I wrote them per Email and told them my case. They wrote me back, saying that it is impossible to be admitted. I'm kind of confused.

1 hour ago, gst said:

Congrats.

I was waiting patiently for your result. Cause I wanna apply at ETH, but I think I have the same problem that you had. I\m lacking more than 30 credits. I wrote them per Email and told them my case. They wrote me back, saying that it is impossible to be admitted. I'm kind of confused.

Hi gst,

Thank you.

Yeah, I think in some cases admission can still be possible, depending on your background. If you have some work experience or something else related to Civil Engineering, these things may help to compensate what you are missing. At least in my case, I believe, it could have been like this. I had several relevant publications and several years of relevant work experience which played their role. I don't know which admission factors your department consider as important, but I believe, overall, you have a chance.

EDITED:

However, I want to add, I think that lacking more than 30 credits definitely places you application at disadvantage and you may become candidate for rejection immediately. I was not missing too much as well, around 30-35 credits, and nobody knows how they counted them, maybe they counted them "friendly" so that I fully satisfied their requirements.  I think there is also some luck and it will highly depend on the person who will be evaluating your app. One person may like your app while another not.

Hope this help.

Edited by _alex_

Hey,

Adding more information to the missing credits, I want to say that today I received my letter (admitted the 2rd and arrived the 7th but I live in a small spanish town far away from the capital) and I am sure that I lacked at least 4 credits in mathematics courses (applied for MSc Physics) and in the letter it is stated that I required NO extra credits in order to take part in the programme.

Therefore, I am totally convinced that they count them in a nice a friendly way.

Thank you for your responses.

The civil engineering department at ETH Zurich, doesn't require much additional documents except : A certificate for the German Language (which I have), the GRE General test (320), and Course content information. Not even Letters of recommendation are required, even though I have two of them from the professors of my hometown University which I am going to send (don't know how much they evaluate that though, since it is not required),2 years of work experience. But my average grade is rather low, just 78%.

But I don't know, their response via Email sounded very strict to me. 

Thank you guys, for responding and sharing your personal experiences, it really helps.

Hi gst,

Thank you.

Yeah, I think in some cases admission can still be possible, depending on your background. If you have some work experience or something else related to Civil Engineering, these things may help to compensate what you are missing. At least in my case, I believe, it could have been like this. I had several relevant publications and several years of relevant work experience which played their role. I don't know which admission factors your department consider as important, but I believe, overall, you have a chance.

EDITED:

However, I want to add, I think that lacking more than 30 credits definitely places you application at disadvantage and you may become candidate for rejection immediately. I was not missing too much as well, around 30-35 credits, and nobody knows how they counted them, maybe they counted them "friendly" so that I fully satisfied their requirements.  I think there is also some luck and it will highly depend on the person who will be evaluating your app. One person may like your app while another not.

Hope this help.

4 hours ago, canas said:

Hey,

Adding more information to the missing credits, I want to say that today I received my letter (admitted the 2rd and arrived the 7th but I live in a small spanish town far away from the capital) and I am sure that I lacked at least 4 credits in mathematics courses (applied for MSc Physics) and in the letter it is stated that I required NO extra credits in order to take part in the programme.

Therefore, I am totally convinced that they count them in a nice a friendly way.

I was admitted to the Robotics, Systems and Control MSc on March 1, and I received my admissions letter and registration form today, March 7 (in N.Y., USA). I received no additional requirements, much to my surprise as I have a B.Sc. in Applied Physics from a liberal arts university. It does seem to heavily depend on who evaluates your profile. My assigned tutor is the professor who responded to my email containing the ESOP proposal, so I believe applying for the ESOP helped my application, whether I ultimately receive the award or not. (For future applicants: make sure your idea is reasonably well suited to one or more professors research. They must select you! My research proposal didn't fit exactly, but in an email response from my tutor (before acceptance), he suggested a way the project could be easily adapted to fit the equipment and projects they already have on hand). The letter instructed me to mail in the signed original enrollment form (enclosed with the acceptance letter), my original university and high-school diplomas (not copies), and a copy of my passport data page. The originals will be returned in person when I pick up documents from ETH before the fall semester.

I tried to include any information that might be interesting or useful to future applicants. If you'd like to know anything else, please let me know.

Some folks in the 2014 and 2015 threads posted timelines for future applicants. I'll post mine now for future reference, and update this post when I hear the results of the ESOP.

Program: Robotics, Systems and Control M.Sc.
Applied: November 27, 2015
ESOP Interview: None
Acceptance email: March 1, 2016
Acceptance letter, by mail: March 7, 2016
ESOP Result: ???

Edited by rehab-robotics
Corrected acceptance dates

I will follow suit. At the time of writing, it has been 29 days (leap month) since receiving the acceptance email. Seeing people receive their acceptance letters by mail so quickly makes me feel extremely uneasy. The Australian postal system is horrid in every way imaginable, and it doesn't help that we're on the other side of the world.

Program: Electrical Engineering and Information Technology M.Sc.
Applied: November 1, 2015
ESOP Interview: None
Acceptance email: February 9, 2016
Acceptance letter, by mail: ???

Hello to everyone!

have you guys noticed the new notification in the ESOP/Master Scholarship Programme web page? I copy/paste here so everyone can read. Therefore, I suppose that we will hear from them next week (finally, although not many hope since I wasn't interviewed). I also sent them an e-mail asking for the partial stipend. At the moment I received an answer, I let you know!

Application

for the academic year 2016/17The decision about the Excellence Scholarship & Opportunity Awards for the academic year 2016/17 will be advised on 15 March 2016.

By the way, here is my track:

Program: Physics M.Sc.
Applied: Dec 4, 2015
Acceptance email: March 2, 2016
Acceptance letter, by mail: March 7, 2016

Edited by canas

On 2/17/2016 at 8:43 PM, Xerien said:

You have nearly 15 days to reply to your admission offer. I guess it is quite justifiable since ETH expects it be first choice IF a person is applying for admission there. 

I'm still waiting for my result (CBB, Master's in Computational Biology and Bioinformatics), and honestly, the wait is taking its toll on my day to day working, whereby I have messed up many things just because my mind was (rather is) occupied with result. As for my profile, it doesn't make much sense to post it here since the nature of this particular program is quite different than others. And it doesn't help much by seeing the result page on gradcafe too, as there is no information posted about 2015 results, but a rough ballpark from 2014 means that I should ideally get my result this week.

Hey Xerien.

I, too, had applied to the CBB Msc Programme at ETH. Did you get your result?

:D:D:D

Congrats to all accepted

I also got accepted today for MS in Earth Sciences

Program: Earth Sciences M.Sc.
Applied: Dec 11, 2015
ESOP Interview: Feb 11, 2016
Acceptance email: March 10, 2016
Acceptance letter, by mail: ???

Edited by AlejoCCE

Hello everyone!

So, according to the web page, we are going to receive ESOP decisions tomorrow?

Program:  Electrical Engineering and Information Technology Master
Applied: Dec 14, 2015
Acceptance email: February 9, 2016
Acceptance letter, by mail: a few days later

Edited by jblanusa

For the record:

Program: High Energy Physics
Applied: Nov 22, 2015
ESOP Interview: Feb 11, 2016
Acceptance email: Mar 8, 2016
Acceptance letter, by mail: Mar 11, 2016
ESOP Result: Mar 14, 2016

11 hours ago, E8 said:

For the record:

Program: High Energy Physics
Applied: Nov 22, 2015
ESOP Interview: Feb 11, 2016
Acceptance email: Mar 8, 2016
Acceptance letter, by mail: Mar 11, 2016
ESOP Result: Mar 14, 2016

Hey, contratulations! someone else?. I thought that tomorrow we will obtain the ESOP results...

1 hour ago, Re18 said:

Programme:  Industrial Pharmaceutical Sciences                  ESOP result:  14 March 2016

Do you have obtained the ESOP ?

so do I! I haven't received any notification yet.

As last year, I believe that no e-mail on March 14th may mean no ESOP, because last year rejection came after those who were awarded were notified ...

finger crossed, anyway.