Question about Campus Visits

o m g

Does anyone have info about when campus visits usually have been in past years? Do most top philosophy programs have a particular organized campus visit where all admitted students come? Or do most just invite you to come whenever you would like to visit? I'm particularly wondering whether the weekends in mid to late March are really popular for campus visits, in particular the weekends of 12-13, 19-20, 26-27.

I know the answers to these questions obviously vary depending on the school, but I'm wondering if people have any data showing recurring trends for, say, the top 20 programs in the PGR.

I can't answer your entire question but I can answer part. If something happens and you can't make it to the scheduled visit weekend, then they let you decide a different time to visit (at least that's the way it worked the last time I applied). Only one of the schools that I got into didn't have a formal group visit weekend.

I believe March is very popular for organized campus visits. Both Emory and Penn State have a designated "recruitment weekends" and both of them are either the third or fourth week in March. Fordham is allowing me to choose when I want to go. Stony Brook hasn't mentioned anything about fly-outs. I'm going to bug them about it in the next week or two. That's all the info I can offer. 

Given the national deadline for decisions is April 15th, it makes sense that campus visits would be scheduled no later than early April.

Chicago, for instance, has campus visits March 28th through April 1st. (OSU, on the other hand, invite me to come by whenever I'd like). 

I would have assumed, though, that weekends are not particularly ideal for campus visits. It can be helpful to audit seminars with profs you'd like to work with while you visit, and more generally I think you'd be able to meet more graduate students and faculty if you visit during the week. 

For the record a lot of schools don't do visiting *weekends* because they want you to attend a class, so they're often weekdays. In my past experience, they worked with me to arrange a time. There wasn't a designated time for all admitted students.