Should I try again next year; or join a sub-optimal PhD program?

frustrated_indian

I am an EE student at a top IIT with interest in AI/ML/vision. I have a high GPA (9.2+ with 9.0 generally considered equivalent to 4.0 at most US schools), good research experience, and a journal paper under review. I was initially interested in communication systems and information theory, and found my calling for AI very late. Though communication, info theory, and AI might sound quite different, there is a vast overlap in the underlying math - especially optimization and probability theory. I went ahead and applied for 6-7 CS PhD programs (mostly top 10) and haven't heard back from any of them. Nearly all of them have sent out their admission offers, and hence I am forced to assume a reject.

I have heard positive news from Columbia and UT Austin EE programs, which I had chosen as backup options. But I was contacted by only communications professors, even though I had mentioned my intent in working with a few CS professors in my SOP. Should I take one of these offers and try to make something out of it? I no longer have a passion for communication, and would like to work on problems in vision, robotics, and such. Also, it would be very unfortunate to go the EE route to these universities, since many of my classmates with weaker profiles got offers from better places like UIUC, Caltech, and CMU.

An alternate option seems to be to work for a year and then apply again in CS. I have a neat job lined up at IBM, but it is not full time research, so may not help with applications. Are CS programs averse to taking non-CS undergrads? What would be a good option given my circumstances? Thank you for your time.

When you say communication professors do you mean professors in Departments of Communication? I ask because there's a difference in trying to make something work between two different departments and within the same department.

3 minutes ago, rising_star said:

When you say communication professors do you mean professors in Departments of Communication? I ask because there's a difference in trying to make something work between two different departments and within the same department.

No, I mean the communication systems (wireless, sensor networks etc.) area in Electrical Engineering.

I think taking the job and applying again sounds like a reasonable option. You sound more enthusiastic about the job offer than about the EE programs that accepted you. A year is not a very long time, and the work experience could be rewarding. I don't think it has to be full-time research to add to your application. You should also try to find out what the weaker applicants you know did differently that got them accepted at schools you are interested in. Not having a CS background shouldn't be a major issue, especially as the transition from EE --> CS seems to be a pretty common one.

2 hours ago, frustrated_indian said:

I am an EE student at a top IIT with interest in AI/ML/vision. I have a high GPA (9.2+ with 9.0 generally considered equivalent to 4.0 at most US schools), good research experience, and a journal paper under review. I was initially interested in communication systems and information theory, and found my calling for AI very late. Though communication, info theory, and AI might sound quite different, there is a vast overlap in the underlying math - especially optimization and probability theory. I went ahead and applied for 6-7 CS PhD programs (mostly top 10) and haven't heard back from any of them. Nearly all of them have sent out their admission offers, and hence I am forced to assume a reject.

I have heard positive news from Columbia and UT Austin EE programs, which I had chosen as backup options. But I was contacted by only communications professors, even though I had mentioned my intent in working with a few CS professors in my SOP. Should I take one of these offers and try to make something out of it? I no longer have a passion for communication, and would like to work on problems in vision, robotics, and such. Also, it would be very unfortunate to go the EE route to these universities, since many of my classmates with weaker profiles got offers from better places like UIUC, Caltech, and CMU.

An alternate option seems to be to work for a year and then apply again in CS. I have a neat job lined up at IBM, but it is not full time research, so may not help with applications. Are CS programs averse to taking non-CS undergrads? What would be a good option given my circumstances? Thank you for your time.

You do seem to have a strong profile. I can't say what happened but the best of students go through this at times. If you are ready to put in all the effort again, I think you should apply again next year. In the meantime, being an RA to a CS professor would probably help your case. As would IBM if it's a research position. 

1 hour ago, emmm said:

I think taking the job and applying again sounds like a reasonable option. You sound more enthusiastic about the job offer than about the EE programs that accepted you. A year is not a very long time, and the work experience could be rewarding. I don't think it has to be full-time research to add to your application. You should also try to find out what the weaker applicants you know did differently that got them accepted at schools you are interested in. Not having a CS background shouldn't be a major issue, especially as the transition from EE --> CS seems to be a pretty common one.

Thank you for the reply. The other applicants I mentioned applied in core-EE areas. If I had applied in communications and info theory, I am sure I would have got into at least 3-4 top 10 schools (some will argue that UTA is top 10 too). I took classes in ML and vision simultaneously in my 7th semester (i.e. Aug-Dec 2015) and simply fell in love with them. My course project for vision course is essentially my undergrad thesis even though I did substantially more research work in communications for over 1 academic year and a summer intern. I admit that I don't have substantial research experience exactly in this area, but I really hoped that research in a closely related and highly mathematical field would have been helpful.

43 minutes ago, svent said:

Columbia and UT aren't backup schools. Not everyone can be the best.

My intention is not to demean the schools. They were backup for me because they were in EE (communications, info theory) whereas what I was really aiming for was CS/AI. If I had got into CS programs at these schools, or at least contacted by CS professors, I would be happy to go. UTA CS is actually a very good fit for me, but I am not sure if I can work with the professors I like.

Edited by frustrated_indian