UPitt MSW 2016

sugarandspice

I got 8k per semester, which is a pretty generous amount to be receiving. I think it'd be the most realistic option for me, although it'd be kind of difficult to let go of NYU and Columbia.

Does anyone know if we'll be able to change our concentration once we get there?

I was told that the first opportunity to change courses would be over the summer during the registration period. I applied as direct practice, but I'm seriously considering switching over to COSA.

Congrats to everyone on their scholarships! I don't envy you all having to decide where to go. That's one bonus for only applying to a single school.

Edited by morlvera

I know they're having an info session on March 19th from 10am - 1pm. Not a very long session, but you could make a weekend of it to explore the area. Don't quote me on it, but I think there are about 70 people registered to attend so far. 

Edited by morlvera
Fixed the session date!

5 hours ago, leeangie said:

I think I'll have to attend upitt too!

I wonder if I could ask for an opportunity to visit before deciding though. I've never been to Pittsburgh so I want to see what it'll be like living there..

same! it'll be tricky to figure out housing without seeing/knowing the area. does anyone know the average class size?

I only applied to Pitt and got $3500 a year and now I'm second guessing whether or not I can afford it. Would paying $22,500 a year in tuition be worth it for an MSW? How are you justifying tuition at the schools you have applied to? 

12 hours ago, cdp said:

I only applied to Pitt and got $3500 a year and now I'm second guessing whether or not I can afford it. Would paying $22,500 a year in tuition be worth it for an MSW? How are you justifying tuition at the schools you have applied to? 

I would definitely try asking for more money. If people who received scholarships decide to go elsewhere, maybe they'd find more money for you if they knew that Pitt was your top choice.

38 minutes ago, leeangie said:

I was just notified that the scholarship amount they had given me was a mistake. I can't believe that they would make such a mistake..! I was so excited...

Wow - that's terrible! Is the difference enough that Pitt doesn't make sense now compared to your other options?

2 hours ago, leeangie said:

I was just notified that the scholarship amount they had given me was a mistake. I can't believe that they would make such a mistake..! I was so excited...

Wow I'm sorry to hear that... I'm sure it feels like a kick to the gut. Keep your head up!

On February 23, 2016 at 11:11 AM, morlvera said:

I would definitely try asking for more money. If people who received scholarships decide to go elsewhere, maybe they'd find more money for you if they knew that Pitt was your top choice.

Wow - that's terrible! Is the difference enough that Pitt doesn't make sense now compared to your other options?

Yes, I may have to defer my enrollment but I wonder if that'd be possible to request just for financial reasons. 

On February 23, 2016 at 10:30 AM, leeangie said:

Oh no that awful! Do you know how that happened? Was it a big difference from the mistaken amount? 

2 hours ago, leeangie said:

Yes, I may have to defer my enrollment but I wonder if that'd be possible to request just for financial reasons. 

I wouldn't hesitate to ask if it meant having to defer enrollment. What would you have to lose, right?

5 hours ago, leeangie said:

I am in the same boat and I am so bummed about it. I am planning on asking to defer as well. Let me know how it goes with you.

Anyone know when we'll get our financial awards? I emailed but haven't heard back yet.

I got a decent scholarship but moving to Pittsburgh would be a BIG move for me & everything I've known, so I'm not sure about it yet.

I may defer admissions to save up more money/take a gap year. I'm not sure yet. 

12 hours ago, cdp said:

I am in the same boat and I am so bummed about it. I am planning on asking to defer as well. Let me know how it goes with you.

2 hours ago, leah371 said:

Anyone know when we'll get our financial awards? I emailed but haven't heard back yet.

I got a decent scholarship but moving to Pittsburgh would be a BIG move for me & everything I've known, so I'm not sure about it yet.

I may defer admissions to save up more money/take a gap year. I'm not sure yet. 

I read that for some schools, deferment is only accepted if we provide documents that can verify 'legitimate' reasons such as a major change in financial/family status and etc. Would they accept needing to earn more money as a valid reason? I'm scared to ask.. Yikes

The public health folks said I won't be getting a financial aid package until the summer (June/July) because that's when Pitt will set it's tuition rates for 2016/2017. That's a bit late, but I know all I'm getting from them are loans so there won't be any surprises.

If you defer admissions, do you get to keep your current scholarship?