UPitt MSW 2016

sugarandspice

I missed a called from the admissions director. He said that scholarship letters had been mailed and should be received by the 20th. He also I'd receive an email on Monday that contained important info. 

Anybody answer the call and know what Monday's email is about?

55 minutes ago, morlvera said:

I missed a called from the admissions director. He said that scholarship letters had been mailed and should be received by the 20th. He also I'd receive an email on Monday that contained important info. 

I haven't gotten a call...at least not yet. And not sure about Monday's email...hmmm very mysterious. But I'm glad we should be getting our scholarship offers soon.

I didn't get a call, but that could be because the only number I had when I applied was my Ugandan phone number. The joys of applying to schools while in Peace Corps... are not that joyful. But I am excited to hear from the school - financial considerations are definitely going to be a big part of my decision.

3 hours ago, morlvera said:

Interesting! Thanks for sharing! I did not get that call or know anything about a Monday email... did you apply under special circumstances or anything?

I applied for a joint degree (MPH/MSW). So maybe it's something about that. While everything I've received so far from the public health folks mentions the joint degree, the MSW acceptance letter didn't say anything about it. 

Whatever it is, I'll report back on Monday. And I'm sure it'll be nowhere near as interesting as the long awaited scholarship letter. I'm in-state so I'm hoping it shows up early in the week. Show me the money!

Edited by morlvera

Got the email -- they're paying for a visit. I might have a scheduling conflict, but if it works out, I'm definitely taking them up on their offer. I've never been to Pittsburgh so it'd be nice to have a look around. 

2 hours ago, morlvera said:

Got the email -- they're paying for a visit. I might have a scheduling conflict, but if it works out, I'm definitely taking them up on their offer. I've never been to Pittsburgh so it'd be nice to have a look around. 

Congrats! That means they must really want you! 

I called in response to the email and was told that I received a $12,000 per year scholarship. I'm in-state so tuition is about $21K per year. Not a bad discount! Hope everyone gets their letters sooner rather than later!

There's also a $10K fellowship (1 year) for the joint degree program I applied for. The timing of the fellowship doesn't work for me, though, so I won't be applying. 

1 hour ago, morlvera said:

I called in response to the email and was told that I received a $12,000 per year scholarship. I'm in-state so tuition is about $21K per year. Not a bad discount! Hope everyone gets their letters sooner rather than later!

There's also a $10K fellowship (1 year) for the joint degree program I applied for. The timing of the fellowship doesn't work for me, though, so I won't be applying. 

That's amazing!!! Congratulations!! Do you mind telling what your gap is and what experiences you had? I'm trying to estimate what scholarship amount I can hope to get!

I have very little experience. I'm changing careers and work full-time, so my primary experience has been volunteering at a hospital and with an HIV/AIDS organization. My undergrad GPA was about 3.8 and my grad GPA was a 4.0. Those degrees had absolutely nothing to do with anything related to social work.

I have no idea how they work out scholarship amounts, so maybe experience will get you more. I think I saw someone in last year's thread who got $18K/year. However it works, at least you'll find out soon!

20 minutes ago, sugarandspice said:

That's awesome! Smartie! Has anyone gotten word of scholarships yet?

Scholarship letters were sent out on Friday.  I have been checking the mail obsessively and with much disappointment.  Even though we should all hear by Saturday at the latest, I am getting really impatient!

I got the online acceptance letter about a week and a half after I applied (I applied at the beginning of December and got the online acceptance before Christmas) and I'm not sure when my physical letter arrived because I was out of the country, but it was definitely at my house before February 5th. I have not, however, received anything about the scholarship.

I received my scholarship letter today.  I was awarded $7,000/year.  A little disappointed because I have a fairly high GPA and a significant amount of highly relevant experience, so I was hoping for more.  This makes UPitt one of the lowest costing programs on my list (so far) but I don't think it's enough for me to justify attending.

I've been following this thread, while also anxiously waiting for my scholarship letter from Pitt. I'm so happy for you guys! I really wish I'd gotten mine today :( Choosing between Pitt and WUSTL for my MSW is the hardest decision I've ever made..