Contacting Admissions

Nat_Foot

On February 19, 2016 at 7:26 PM, Nat_Foot said:

U Conn update:  "We expect to start notifying accepted applicants over the next month." 

These are becoming less and less informative.

This morning I was thinking maybe someone was fucking with me but then Gurtler emailed me back with a copy of the letter I *should* have gotten, dated Feb. 19. But I've also gotten an email from a grad student looking to set me up for the recruitment week. How many people do they normally accept? 

Quoted the wrong person. Whatevs. 

Edited by MVSCZAR

Just heard back from Gurtler (that was fast!) - no BC for me, but he also didn't give me any real indication of what other applications shoulde expect. It was implied that finalists have already been notified, and that it was strange that I hadn't yet received my rejection, but that seems strange - only two acceptances on gradcafe?

21 minutes ago, bechkafish said:

Just heard back from Gurtler (that was fast!) - no BC for me, but he also didn't give me any real indication of what other applications shoulde expect. It was implied that finalists have already been notified, and that it was strange that I hadn't yet received my rejection, but that seems strange - only two acceptances on gradcafe?

:( I'm sorry to hear that, but I'm glad they didn't keep you waiting. I'm wondering if something is up with USPS. 

8 minutes ago, jacbarcan said:

Nat called MIT and they told her they weren't done and that they would finish tonight or tomorrow.

THANK YOU @Nat_Foot

MIT PLS

I WOULD MAKE SO MANY COOKIES

who am i kidding I would symmetrically make cookies in grief

8 minutes ago, jacbarcan said:

Nat called MIT and they told her they weren't done and that they would finish tonight or tomorrow.

Thank gods for some hope.

I've yet to hear back about 9 applications, and even with those numbers, it's getting a little hard to feel anything but a hangover.

5 minutes ago, Nat_Foot said:

@personagrata I don't think most people have (including myself). 

Same

So, MIT said they might finish up today, and nobody's posted an acceptance since then... so either the person(s) remaining didn't know about gradcafe, or I still have a chance...

I just spoke with someone at Pitt HPS. She said that notifications (most likely email notifications) should be out in a week or two. Also, the dept. usually aims for an incoming class of 3-5 students.

Edited by notorious_biv

13 minutes ago, gughok said:

Same

So, MIT said they might finish up today, and nobody's posted an acceptance since then... so either the person(s) remaining didn't know about gradcafe, or I still have a chance...

I'm just hoping that they're waiting to call out of courtesy to those of us on the West Coast :P 

Just to add more details about my call to MIT yesterday...

I called about 4:45 EST, after all the decisions from yesterday had been posted. I asked the secretary if all acceptances had been released. I was transferred to someone else, who put me on hold for a minute or two after I repeated the question. When she came back, she said that they'd be done today or tomorrow; they're not sure what their schedule is yet. As of yesterday, I thought there was a good chance that they weren't done, based on what the person I spoke with said. I still think there's a good chance there will be some calls today, but there are 4 or 5 acceptances posted already (I said 4 or 5 because I'm not sure if the person who got a missed call later added the details of their acceptance). If you don't hear by the end of the day, you probably weren't accepted... but there's still wait list. 

The suspense is killing me too. 

49 minutes ago, Nat_Foot said:

CUNY: "Admissions decisions will be released by mid to late March." Woefully unhelpful. UGHH

Damn. They really did let me know early. Perhaps decisions just started. Although, I feel like they just kinda say that. I called the classics dept for a friend a few days ago and they said late March/ early April and I was like, okayyyyy. And the next day there was a CUNY classics admit on grad cafe. 

3 minutes ago, MVSCZAR said:

Damn. They really did let me know early. Perhaps decisions just started. Although, I feel like they just kinda say that. I called the classics dept for a friend a few days ago and they said late March/ early April and I was like, okayyyyy. And the next day there was a CUNY classics admit on grad cafe. 

Yeah, and something like this has happened for almost every school I called. They'll say 1-2 weeks and then release within the next 2 days lol.