NYU Wagner 2016

edpolicy2015

• 2 weeks later...

Did everyone get a confirmation email that their application is complete/under review?  Did not receive although app was complete, thought I would wait to see if there were any emails from admissions about any missing documents but now am getting a little anxious.

@numeroseven I recently scoured the website for this, and it looks like for those who applied before the 12/15 deadline, all decisions should be out by March 11. After that, it's "rolling."

@AlphaStep I did get email confirmations that my application had been received and sent to the committee for review - still, I wouldn't freak out if you didn't get these. I don't know what the deal is with Wagner's application portal, but I can't tell you how much trouble I've had with email notifications (ex. setting up the account in the first place, no notifications for my LORs had been received, so much else). I think AdComs in general are pretty good about letting you know if they've gotten your application but it's missing things. I bet you're fine, but you could also email them directly - at the times that I have, they've always been very good about getting back. Hope that helps!

I also saw the same thing about applying before 12/5 decisions would be out by 3/5. Anxiously awaiting here as well. Would love thoughts from everyone about "why" they would attend NYU over their other schools. Good luck everyone! 2-3 more weeks hopefully.

Hi all, I'm waiting along with you. I got super lucky and had a semi-finalist interview for one of the fellowships last week, and they seemed to indicate that this would be the timeline:

• Fellowship finalists by 3/4
  • Admission decisions by 3/11
  • Other financial/scholarship decisions sometime the week after

It seemed like they were feeling pretty good about meeting those dates, but you never know. Good luck to everyone! Maybe we'll all be in school together next year!

As for "why NYU" for me - First, I applied to HKS, Michigan Ford, Goldman Berkeley, and NYU. All of these schools are great; all of them have completely different programs. The draw for NYU to me is two things: it's a school of public service instead of policy (which is interesting), and the scheduled allows you to work part or even full time, if you want. My big interest is in domestic poverty; there's some great work being done on that front at NYU. I'm applying after seven years of practice as a USDOJ attorney, so one thing that was important to me was reciprocity in other jurisdictions. Other than CA, I would have reciprocity in all of the states where I applied, meaning I could practice without taking another bar. NYC also allows for a lot of possible transfer opportunities for me, work wise. If I get in to more than one of these schools, then I have to have go into Serious Self-Reflection Mode and figure out what I really, really want. If I only get into one, then The Fates have made the decision for me. We'll see!

Good luck, everyone!

14 hours ago, obrien_blue said:

Hi all, I'm waiting along with you. I got super lucky and had a semi-finalist interview for one of the fellowships last week, and they seemed to indicate that this would be the timeline:

• Fellowship finalists by 3/4
  • Admission decisions by 3/11
  • Other financial/scholarship decisions sometime the week after

It seemed like they were feeling pretty good about meeting those dates, but you never know. Good luck to everyone! Maybe we'll all be in school together next year!

As for "why NYU" for me - First, I applied to HKS, Michigan Ford, Goldman Berkeley, and NYU. All of these schools are great; all of them have completely different programs. The draw for NYU to me is two things: it's a school of public service instead of policy (which is interesting), and the scheduled allows you to work part or even full time, if you want. My big interest is in domestic poverty; there's some great work being done on that front at NYU. I'm applying after seven years of practice as a USDOJ attorney, so one thing that was important to me was reciprocity in other jurisdictions. Other than CA, I would have reciprocity in all of the states where I applied, meaning I could practice without taking another bar. NYC also allows for a lot of possible transfer opportunities for me, work wise. If I get in to more than one of these schools, then I have to have go into Serious Self-Reflection Mode and figure out what I really, really want. If I only get into one, then The Fates have made the decision for me. We'll see!

Good luck, everyone!

Thanks for sharing the timelines and the "why" by NYU. Very helpful. Wishing you and everyone all the best. Counting down to finding out next week!

Update from NYU on the Applicant Portal: Looks like we will be waiting until next Friday.

There is a technical glitch with our third-party application system. As a result, you may be seeing a default system processing message indicating a waitlist status. No admission decisions have been made at this time. All official notifications will be provided via email. NYU Wagner does not post admission decisions on the online student dashboard. If you submitted your application by December 15, you will be notified via email on March 11.

We sincerely apologize for any confusion this may have caused. 

I heard from them yesterday about my fellowship prospects - I didn't make finalist (boooo), but they seemed adamant that admissions decisions would DEFINITELY be by Friday, with merit-based scholarship info for everyone to come the following week. No one is going to have to wait past Friday!

2 minutes ago, coasts said:

Got an email saying that my official letter of admission will come by email later today. In the meantime the sent me log-in information to view a video.. 

The title on mine says, "Congratulations on Your Admission to NYU Wagner!" But that does mean you're in! Hi, possible fellow classmate!

4 minutes ago, obrien_blue said:

The title on mine says, "Congratulations on Your Admission to NYU Wagner!" But that does mean you're in! Hi, possible fellow classmate!

Haha yes I am in! Is Wagner a strong possibility for you? Seems like you have some  really excellent other choices!

@coasts Yes, Wagner is a strong possibility for me. I already have a solid work resume, so I definitely aimed high for prestige programs, but I also aimed for programs that were diverse in their philosophies about how to approach policy/management/service. I'm in at Berkeley and Michigan (didn't get HKS, but I never would have been able to pay for it, and I don't want more debt, so that was probably all for the best) and Wagner. All three schools are very different in geography (which I wanted - I'm from the south, and I plan to come back here to do policy/non-profit work, but I wanted to try something different for a few years) and in the approaches that they take to their programs. At Michigan, for instance, if I went there, I would hopefully get an assistantship and have kind of a relaxed couple of years (it would be hard work, but I've been a lawyer for USDOJ for seven years, now, so I've got a whole different idea of what "work" looks like than I did before that, and I dream of spending more time on learning). At NYU, I would probably have a job during the day, because their program is set up so that you can further your career while you're also going to school to further it in a different way. It'll depend on money and the type of experience I ultimately want to have. I'm going to admit days for Michigan and NYU (Berkeley is just scheduled at a terrible time for me - I have court that day, so there's no way I could make it). I love New York, so location-wise, it's my top choice. I also like the practicality of the program; they seem to really emphasize getting out and doing the work you want to pursue while in school. 

There's my novel on that topic! Brevity is not my strong suit!

1 minute ago, sparks1 said:

What terrible mobile formatting for an acceptance letter! Gmail is blocked on my work computer so that video just BLARED incredibly loudly while my students were testing. Oops :) 

It looked INSANE on my phone. I hope your students cheered for you!

@obrien_blue thanks for sharing your thought process! I've been working in policy for a few years now (the last few in NYC) and I'm really looking immerse myself in school and classes, so Wagner's flexibility is less appealing to me. But many of my coworkers do the part-time and have done really well in it. I'm also less attracted to Wagner because my understanding is that it's less quantitatively rigorous, which is the area I feel I need to develop most. Finally, NY cost of living is just not student friendly. So, I probably won't go, but may well attend the admit day because I'm already in the area so why not!

5 minutes ago, sparks1 said:

Anyone get any info on $$? I'm assuming since there was no mention on my letter I didn't get any, but just curious.

When I was going through the fellowship process, they said that people would find out about money the week following admissions decisions. On the website, it looks like they tell you what's up with scholarships and GA positions at the same time, which I wish to God other places did, because it's driving me crazy not to know!