NYU Wagner 2016

edpolicy2015

2 minutes ago, obrien_blue said:

When I was going through the fellowship process, they said that people would find out about money the week following admissions decisions. On the website, it looks like they tell you what's up with scholarships and GA positions at the same time, which I wish to God other places did, because it's driving me crazy not to know!

Hey obrien_blue, thanks for sharing the information. But just several days ago, I saw people posting here that they already had fellowship interviews with Wagner professors. Does this mean that those who were not informed with interviews will not get anything?

@kkkl Perhaps you're confusing it with prospective students applying to PhD programs (I recall reading about this as well). Congrats, ya'll. Hope to see you all this upcoming fall (crosses fingers).

2 minutes ago, deepviszion said:

@kkkl Perhaps you're confusing it with prospective students applying to PhD programs (I recall reading about this as well). Congrats, ya'll. Hope to see you all this upcoming fall (crosses fingers).

Hey deepviszion, thanks, congratulations to you too! are you sure that the fellowship interview was for PHDs? cuz as all of you are feeling, waiting isn't a beautiful thing.....

3 minutes ago, deepviszion said:

@kkkl yes. I'm sure. As @obrien_blue mentioned, we should be finding out about our funding packages in the coming weeks. I also went through the fellowship process myself, and was told similar details. 

Congrats @deepviszion! Did you get to the final round? I was super bummed not to make it, but I'm hoping it's an indicator of better things to come next week!

@obrien_blue congrats to you as well - very well-deserved!! Unfortunately, I did not make it to the final round. However, you're absolutely right. It is definitely an indicator of better things to come next week. Which fellowship were you interviewing for? 

@deepviszion I was up for the David Bohnett Fellowship. They actually have one at Michigan, too, so I'll be applying for that and see if I can get lucky on the second go. What about you? 

From previous threads, it looks like they can stack scholarship and and assistantship to (presumably) pay for the whole thing and get a stipend. But I assume you'd still need another job to live in NYC (unless you're unspeakably rich; if so, feel free to share). That's why I was really hoping for that fellowship!

@obrien_blue oh same. So awesome! You should definitely give it a shot at Michigan as well. It's a great program. My close friend interviewed for the other fellowship (Goldberg) and made it to the next round so I'll keep you posted on how the in-person interview process goes for her.

You're right. Did they mention whether or not you're up for merit-based scholarships/an assistant-ship?

@deepviszion They seemed to allude to merit-based scholarships/some other kind of funding, but nothing totally solid. I feel confident I'll be offered something; I just don't know yet what. I have actually taught law school classes for my alma mater (tier 2 SEC school), so I feel pretty good about assistantship prospects.

....and while I was typing this, I just got an email saying I've been offered the Public Service Scholarship, which states the following: "You have been selected to receive a 50% tuition scholarship that will cover all of your tuition costs for the fall and spring terms." How can something that's 50% cover all of anything? Guys, we've got a math problem. I have more questions than ever.

No mention of an assistantship, but maybe they aren't doing those in the same email? I'm going to be on the phone with them by the end of the day, God help me. Unless that scholarship covers the whole tuition cost, then an assistantship is gonna have to come down, too!

It means it covers 50% of tuition. They admitted it's oddly worded.

Has anyone heard about assistantships? Apparently those are coming from faculty, so they are trickling out. Admissions didn't have much info on them. Bueller? Bueller?

Guest SIPA_MPA18

I was also accepted with no merit-based funding. I got the funding email about 2 hours after the admissions video was received. 

Has anyone heard anything about GA/TA/RA/GSI positions? I spoke with my contact on Friday, and I think admissions knows less about that because it's a decision made by faculty. I'm just wondering if anyone's heard anything to see if I have missed my shot at one, or if I should keep hoping!

Per my conversation with admissions, all GA positions have been filled. Merit based financial aid includes Assistantship opportunities. You would have to ask about Research positions, although you would be competing with current Wagner students for those. 

Since Wagner is government and nonprofit focused, they seem to not offer significant funding for many incoming students because they know you can enroll in the Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program (PSLF). As most of you are aware, you take out Direct Federal loans, pay back through Income Based Repayment (IBR), PAYE or REPAYE program and make 120 payments over 10 years to have the rest of your debt "forgiven". But you must be working at a non profit org or local, tribal, state or federal government. 

Hence why they advertise PSLF under the financial aid page of their website. Although for many thats a tough pill to swallow. Being in debt for 10 years is no joke. 

For many applicants it seems, the "check back with us" financial aid form may weigh heavily in accepting or declining the offer of admission. They have stated updated financial aid offers will be sent out no later than April 20, 2016. 

Edited by Valencia SF

10 minutes ago, Valencia SF said:

Per my conversation with admissions, all GA positions have been filled. Merit based financial aid includes Assistantship opportunities. You would have to ask about Research positions, although you would be competing with current Wagner students for those. 

Since Wagner is government and nonprofit focused, they seem to not offer significant funding for many incoming students because they know you can enroll in the Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program (PSLF). As most of you are aware, you take out Direct Federal loans, pay back through Income Based Repayment (IBR), PAYE or REPAYE program and make 120 payments over 10 years to have the rest of your debt "forgiven". But you must be working at a non profit org or local, tribal, state or federal government. 

Hence why they advertise PSLF under the financial aid page of their website. Although for many thats a tough pill to swallow. Being in debt for 10 years is no joke. 

For many applicants it seems, the "check back with us" financial aid form may weigh heavily in accepting or declining the offer of admission. They have stated updated financial aid offers will be sent out no later than April 20, 2016. 

Wow isn't that a lot of faith in the government to hinge on? For all we know, Ted Cruz could be elected to office and change the rules. And then we are all screwed.

On 3/10/2016 at 10:52 AM, sparks1 said:

Anyone get any info on $$? I'm assuming since there was no mention on my letter I didn't get any, but just curious.

Edited by jj2800
mistake

@obrien_blue so sorry for the late response. Did you speak to the admissions committee at Wagner? From my understanding, graduate assistant-ships are awarded during the admissions process. Hope you're still considering NYU!

On March 15, 2016 at 3:05 PM, deepviszion said:

@obrien_blue so sorry for the late response. Did you speak to the admissions committee at Wagner? From my understanding, graduate assistant-ships are awarded during the admissions process. Hope you're still considering NYU!

No problem! I've talked with NYU - looks like, at the moment, my 50% scholarship is the most I'll get. I'm definitely still considering them, but I'm focusing on Michigan and Berkeley assistantships at the moment. There's not much else I can do to up my money at NYU - I just have to wait to see if someone else who got a better deal drops, and hope it trickles down to me - but GSI positions are starting to open up at Berkeley and Michigan, so I'm working to see what I can get done there. Much to do, still, before April 15!