GSE Berkeley

cab120

Also waiting on Berkeley, I applied to the Human Development & Education PhD program. From previous years on the results board, it looks like acceptances have gone out in late February/early March, and rejections don't go out until late March/early April. 

@SilentObserver, did you interview prior to your acceptance?

@aebh615, I didn't have a formal interview. My POI reached out in January to schedule Skype call.  It was very short notice but I wasn't asked any tough questions. He asked if I had committed to another program,  as well as a few more questions about my personal background and how it relates to my research goals. He and the other QME professors thought I could qualify for some fellowships and wanted to maximize my chances of getting it. I didn't get an official offer until a couple of weeks later but in retrospect the call seemed like an unofficial acceptance. 

On 2/17/2016 at 9:07 AM, SilentObserver said:

@aebh615, I didn't have a formal interview. My POI reached out in January to schedule Skype call.  It was very short notice but I wasn't asked any tough questions. He asked if I had committed to another program,  as well as a few more questions about my personal background and how it relates to my research goals. He and the other QME professors thought I could qualify for some fellowships and wanted to maximize my chances of getting it. I didn't get an official offer until a couple of weeks later but in retrospect the call seemed like an unofficial acceptance. 

This sounds a little like a call I had elsewhere http://forum.thegradcafe.com/topic/70077-penn-gse-2016/?do=findComment&comment=1058336057

I really do hope my story ends similarly.

4 hours ago, SilentObserver said:

That definitely sounds promising! Sending good vibes your way @juanmesh

I just got waitlisted :(. Disappointed! Thanks.

[NOT GSE BERKELEY]

Edited by juanmesh
Clarification

41 minutes ago, CIShopeful said:

@juanmesh Can I ask if they called you or emailed you?

Generic email with link to application website. That was it. Why?

[NOT GSE BERKELEY]

Edited by juanmesh
Clarification

1 minute ago, juanmesh said:

Email notifying me to check the application website. That was it.

Thanks!  I'm starting to get really anxious waiting!  

This is the last decision that I'm waiting for.  I've been rejected by the other three universities.  Was it a bad plan to only put out four applications?  Maybe.  Honestly, though, pursuing a PhD involves packing up my life, leaving my career, and postponing a few pretty significant life goals, so I decided to only apply to places that I would drop everything for.

1 minute ago, CIShopeful said:

Thanks!  I'm starting to get really anxious waiting!  

This is the last decision that I'm waiting for.  I've been rejected by the other three universities.  Was it a bad plan to only put out four applications?  Maybe.  Honestly, though, pursuing a PhD involves packing up my life, leaving my career, and postponing a few pretty significant life goals, so I decided to only apply to places that I would drop everything for.

Oh! I'm not writing about an application to GSE Berkeley. Truly sorry if I misled you or any other person. Good luck. I also applied to four schools - 1a/1w/2r - and maybe I should have applied to more but location matters for me. Applying to more usually makes sense though but your reasoning is valid.

1 minute ago, juanmesh said:

Oh! I'm not writing about an application to GSE Berkeley. Truly sorry if I misled you or any other person. Good luck. I also applied to four schools - 1a/1w/2r - and maybe I should have applied to more but location matters for me. Applying to more usually makes sense though but your reasoning is valid.

OH!  Whew!  That's good to know, that it wasn't GSE Berkeley, I mean.  I feel like this application process has turned me into a neurotic mess!

Congratulations on your waitlist status, btw!  I can't believe I forgot to put that in my previous post!

14 minutes ago, CIShopeful said:

OH!  Whew!  That's good to know, that it wasn't GSE Berkeley, I mean.  I feel like this application process has turned me into a neurotic mess!

Congratulations on your waitlist status, btw!  I can't believe I forgot to put that in my previous post!

Made me chuckle - getting congratulated. I guess it's something but I had a fantastic interview so I feel rather disappointed :(. You're not alone, but you can visit this topic for relief: http://forum.thegradcafe.com/topic/51574-favorite-rejection-quotes-from-the-results-page/:)

And thanks! Where are my manners?!

[NOT GSE BERKELEY]

Edited by juanmesh
Mannerlessness

Does anyone know if PhD students in Berkeley's GSE are automatically fully funded?  Some of the programs I applied to made it very clear that all PhD candidates are completely funded for a specific amount of years, but I'm having trouble finding that on Berkeley's website.

23 hours ago, CIShopeful said:

Does anyone know if PhD students in Berkeley's GSE are automatically fully funded?  Some of the programs I applied to made it very clear that all PhD candidates are completely funded for a specific amount of years, but I'm having trouble finding that on Berkeley's website.

From what I understand, PhDs at Berkeley GSE are not funded, unless the student is awarded a particular fellowship or grant that covers the cost. There are a bunch of university grants that may help, and you're eligible to apply for, but these aren't guaranteed. 

I applied to the PhD in Literacy, Language and Culture too.  If I haven't heard anything yet, does that mean I probably did not get in?  I Saw someone posted a rejection after contacting the department directly...

" The earliest decisions are made in late February, continuing into April. Notifications are sent by e-mail. "

This is what is on their website says. I haven't heard of anyone getting accepted yet, so we probably just have to wait. I know someone said they contacted their mentor and got a rejection but that doesn't mean they made all their decisions. 

Through April is way too late for me personally I have an open house for another program in March if I don't hear back by then I probably won't consider them (it may be a rejection anyways)

Edited by mbfox125

But how have none of us heard anything?  I haven't gotten any kind of information via email, the website (which says that it will be updated when decisions are made), or regular mail.

I would call the admissions office because they were the ones scheduling the open house for next week so they must have the list already of who was accepted, waitlisted etc. 

I just sent an email to admissions, though the office is closed now.  If they respond, I'll post.  My experience with calling Cal, though, is that they generally seem a bit overwhelmed so I'm not expecting an immediate response.  It might be more efficient to call tomorrow...

Edited by rosecoyote

1 hour ago, CIShopeful said:

But how have none of us heard anything?  I haven't gotten any kind of information via email, the website (which says that it will be updated when decisions are made), or regular mail.

I received my acceptance into the QME program early February and was sent information about the visit days happening on March 6/7.  The department contacted me first, and then I got official notice from the grad division later.  I had to register and log in through a separate website (not the one where we submitted our applications) to read the official acceptance, so I wouldn't rely on the regular website. I would just call them or email them at this point to see if they're still making decisions on candidates. 

Edited by SilentObserver