Letters of Recommendation

Cochleah

Hello everyone,

I'm attempting to apply to graduate school in the fall and I've reached a bit of a predicament. I've been working as an Audiology Assistant for a few years, and I've been out of school for a while. 

The requirements for the three letters of recommendation state they must come from a professor who can vouch for my abilities as a student. However, I'm 100% sure none of my old professors remember me. 

How do I go about obtaining quality letters of rec. from professors who don't have the time or are not willing to do so? This is literally the last piece of the puzzle and any insights you may have would be appreciated.

Thanks!

5 minutes ago, Cochleah said:

Hello everyone,

I'm attempting to apply to graduate school in the fall and I've reached a bit of a predicament. I've been working as an Audiology Assistant for a few years, and I've been out of school for a while. 

The requirements for the three letters of recommendation state they must come from a professor who can vouch for my abilities as a student. However, I'm 100% sure none of my old professors remember me. 

How do I go about obtaining quality letters of rec. from professors who don't have the time or are not willing to do so? This is literally the last piece of the puzzle and any insights you may have would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Hi Cochleah, I had the same question when I put together my applications. I emailed the secretaries of the departments directly explaining that I graduated from my BA and MPhil a long time ago and the only prof with whom I had stayed in close touch with just passed away. Both schools replied saying that for mature students they handle the references differently, with the understanding that it might be impossible for people who have left school for a long time to obtain any references from their teachers.  They both said professional recommendations will work just fine in my case. So my suggestion is email them and explain your situation, and see what they say. 

Edited by litzzie