Is this good news?

LateAntique

Maybe it just means they're all too busy working, hunched over their books and applications, to post on this forum!

I wish I had some vague idea of who I'll be competing with for spots (I'm not a classicist though).

So you're saying while I spend all my time posting on and reading this forum, my competition is out there working on making their applications look better?

Suckers!!!

Last year there was a massive, and I mean massive influx of prospective grad students applying to schools. Every school that I talked to said that they were blown away by how many apps they received. Typical programs that would get around 40-50 apps, were getting over 150.... I know that Chicago got over 400!! Crazy. And the forum here was constantly buzzing. I was in and out of the classics and the history sections here, and I could barely keep up with all the new posts, and activity.

As for this year.... well I share your optimism. Not to say that every prospective is a member here, but there surely is some correlation. The forums here are dead. No activity at all, even during the most busy and frantic time..... So.... I feel that there will most definitely be less competition this year. Most that did not get in to a PhD program last year most likely:

A. Did something else.

B. Gave up all together on grad school.

C. Got into some MA program and will re-enter the market for a PhD next year.

Either way.... I take this as a clear indication that it will be a lighter year.

Last year there was a massive, and I mean massive influx of prospective grad students applying to schools. Every school that I talked to said that they were blown away by how many apps they received. Typical programs that would get around 40-50 apps, were getting over 150.... I know that Chicago got over 400!! Crazy. And the forum here was constantly buzzing. I was in and out of the classics and the history sections here, and I could barely keep up with all the new posts, and activity.

As for this year.... well I share your optimism. Not to say that every prospective is a member here, but there surely is some correlation. The forums here are dead. No activity at all, even during the most busy and frantic time..... So.... I feel that there will most definitely be less competition this year. Most that did not get in to a PhD program last year most likely:

A. Did something else.

B. Gave up all together on grad school.

C. Got into some MA program and will re-enter the market for a PhD next year.

Either way.... I take this as a clear indication that it will be a lighter year.

I was just poking fun at how little chatter there is in this corner of the forum (other than myself), but if there is actually a correlation between posts here and amount of people applying, I'm very happy. The less competition I have, the better it is for me.

Come on, guys. This is very wishful thinking. The fact that people aren't posting on an online forum is a clear indication that applicant numbers are down?! That's just ridiculously flawed logic. The economy still sucks, remember...?

Of course it's wishful thinking and you're totally ruining it!

hahahah sorry. no, i'm sure you're right. it's just the three of us, for SURE! See you guys at Princeton!!!! :)

I would be shocked if I ended up at Princeton because I'm not applying there. Maybe there will be so few Classicists they'll just fight for us.