Working in a psychiatry lab

Clinpsyc01

I'm probably being paranoid, but would it look odd to volunteer in psychiatric research and then apply to grad school in psychology? I want to apply to clinical psych programs in the next few years, but I need more research experience. I'm going to try to stay on at my current clinical lab if they'll have me, but I'd like to volunteer in another lab. I was thinking of contacting some professors in psychiatry at my university's med school since my psych department is heavily cognitive psych/neuroscience-focused. Would this make me look indecisive or like I don't understand the difference between psychology and psychiatry?

I currently work in a psychiatry lab and have had no issues. I have made great connections and have learned a lot. It is especially interesting because you learn things from a medical perspective. Got 2/3 interviews so can't be that bad :)

I would highly encourage it. 

I'd think this kind of experience would only help you! The two fields are related enough to confirm your over-arching interest/commitment. Also, I've heard from more folks than not that getting good research experience, period, is more important than getting research experience in any one specific area (as research skills generalize). I'm in my second year as a full-time lab manager/research assistant in a fantastic psychology department, but one that doesn't have a clinical program (or anything close to it). Even though I haven't been doing clinical research specifically, I've had success getting clinical and counseling interviews this cycle. Hope this helps!

The psychology department at my institution is also more social/cog/neuro-focused, so I've gotten clinical research experience as a research assistant in the Psychiatry department and then went on to get an MSc Psychiatry. I have been accepted into a couple different clinical psyc programs for next fall so I wouldn't worry about it. It is more important to focus on the research experience that you are gaining and how relevant it is to the research area you are hoping to pursue in a Clinical Psychology program later on. The fact that it's in a Psychiatry department doesn't really matter, IMO.

On 2/20/2016 at 8:23 AM, hsrnl said:

I'm probably being paranoid, but would it look odd to volunteer in psychiatric research and then apply to grad school in psychology? I want to apply to clinical psych programs in the next few years, but I need more research experience. I'm going to try to stay on at my current clinical lab if they'll have me, but I'd like to volunteer in another lab. I was thinking of contacting some professors in psychiatry at my university's med school since my psych department is heavily cognitive psych/neuroscience-focused. Would this make me look indecisive or like I don't understand the difference between psychology and psychiatry?

When it comes to research, I don't think the difference between psychiatry and psychology matters. So long as the research is relevant, I don't see why anyone would care. I would seek out any research opportunities that are consistent with your research interests. I know some people who work in a cancer center and do psych research. The topic seems much more important than the office title. I've worked in a psychiatry department as a research assistant and it's absolutely been helpful in making my application competitive.