General question about interview

Timemachines

This is a bit of an awkward question - I am/have been preparing for an interview that's coming up, and in talking about potential interview questions, my post doc asked me why I thought I would be a good fit for the program ..when answering this type of question, is it appropriate to respond based on your fit specifically with your PI, or are programs looking for a broader response about your potential contributions to the department and cohort, etc. Do you touch on some unique experiences (research or clinical) and reflect on how it may affect the program in a positive way, etc? 

Edited by Timemachines

It sounds like you already know the answer. I think the most thorough/impressive approach is to talk about how your unique qualifications make you well-suited for the program and to work with the PI. It shows you're reflective, have done your research about the program/PI, and you already have some training/experience.

Yeah I agree. You show fit on multiple levels:

Research/Theory: Are you interested in/experienced with the topics your PI studies? Also, do you agree with the theoretical orientation of the program/PI? E.g. do you take a holistic approach? Do you view behavior through a cognitive-behavioral viewpoint?

Goals: Do your career goals align with the clinical science or scientist-practitioner model of the program? If you talk about your love of clinical work, that may not be ideal with a clinical science program (even though it is true that you need to love clinical work!).

Personality: How is your personality similar to those in the program? Usually this just means: are you pleasant to work/talk with?

46 minutes ago, Applicant38 said:

Yeah I agree. You show fit on multiple levels:

Research/Theory: Are you interested in/experienced with the topics your PI studies? Also, do you agree with the theoretical orientation of the program/PI? E.g. do you take a holistic approach? Do you view behavior through a cognitive-behavioral viewpoint?

Goals: Do your career goals align with the clinical science or scientist-practitioner model of the program? If you talk about your love of clinical work, that may not be ideal with a clinical science program (even though it is true that you need to love clinical work!).

Personality: How is your personality similar to those in the program? Usually this just means: are you pleasant to work/talk with?

Thanks very much - helpful thinking points