Pass/fail option vs. Grade of C or lower

ecoda

If you were a Grad School Admission advisor...  

5 members have voted

1. 1. What looks better on a Post-Bacc Transcript?

• A letter grade of C or lower
    • A grade of P, from Pass/Fail option
  2. 2. Does it matter the Post-Bacc is being done @ Columbia University, and the courses are 400 level?

• Yes, a grade of C at Columbia is solid
    • No. Take the P.

I am in my second semester at Columbia University doing some Post-Bacc work in preperation for Grad School. I have worked really hard this semester, but the chance for a grade of a C looms in one of my classes. I am taking 400 level courses-- in my area of interest, but I did not take a few of the prerequisite-- which has put me behind. I have had to sweat for those possible C's.

Should I take the classes Pass/Fail or just take the C letter grade? Please advise.

Thank you for your input.

I don't think a C in your field of interest sounds good at all, given that a C is basically a failing grade in graduate school. If you can't get better than a C now, why would you do better at the harder classes in graduate school? I say do your best to pull the grade up to a B, and don't do pass-fail; it won't really help you (just raises questions, I think), and you may be able to pull off at least a B if you keep working at it.

In the UK (at least in my school) they use a A to F scale and/or a pass/fail scheme. I got a C in one of my master coursework. I am still quite indignant about it because I don't think the grade truely reflected the quality of my paper and I don't agree with the examiner's comments. :angry: :angry: :angry: That's why I decided to leave my last institution (it's a very prestigous school and I am offered PhD admission) and go back to the U.S. for my PhD. The red tape in the UK universities is intolerable. I know I sound apologetic but my supervisor also agreed that I was just one of the victims of these school-wide corusework. Because all papers are graded by anonymous examiners she really couldn't do anything about it. I'm still upset that there is a C on my transcript (I've never got a C before) but let bygones be bygones. I'm confident that my letter of recommendation and my writing sample will speak for themselves. If I were you I would choose the Pass/Fail option. C looks pretty bad in America although it's not uncommon across the Atlantic.