Waitlist follow-up advice

exactlywhereiam

Hey all,

So I received an email notifying me that I had been placed on a waitlist about a month ago. The email was very kind and encouraging, and the DGS didn't ask me to send any additional information; she just said that she hoped I would stay in touch and that I should feel free to contact her with any questions. 

Well, my anxiety got the better of me, and I never managed a response (by the time I had decided that I should have responded, it felt too late. I now realize that that was a mistake). I've recently been rejected by a couple programs, and I'm getting nervous that I haven't gotten in anywhere yet. I'm enthusiastic about the program that waitlisted me, and I want to express that I'm still very interested. I feel like I should send an email confirming my interest, but I'm feeling horribly awkward about it, given that I didn't respond to the waitlist email that I received a month ago.

Two questions:

1) Real talk: how badly did I screw up by not writing back immediately?

2) Any suggestions on how I should go about emailing the DGS--or is it too late now?

Admissions committees are just as anxious about waitlists as you are... They all have a history of getting burned by admitted folks changing their mind at the last minute, then not having any decent uncommitted folks on the waitlist to turn to.  It's definitely in your best interest to email them and tell them you're still interested in an offer should one come available. If course your ultimate fate depends on how far down you're ranked in the list, but it pays to ask that, as well. Knock the door down. They appreciate passion for the program and a no nonsense approach.

8 hours ago, RAP said:

Hey!! I have been put on wait list at Mayo graduate school. Anyone here who applied to the same school? Thanks :)

When were you interviewed? What course did you choose? I'm still waiting for their decision on my interview. It has been 3 weeks since my interview. 

3 hours ago, oncovirus said:

When were you interviewed? What course did you choose? I'm still waiting for their decision on my interview. It has been 3 weeks since my interview. 

I interviewed on February 12th for Biochemistry and Molecular biology. Which course did you interview for and when?

6 hours ago, RAP said:

I interviewed on February 12th for Biochemistry and Molecular biology. Which course did you interview for and when?

I was interviewed last Feb 8 for their Virology and Gene Therapy program. I'm a bit worried now because I haven't heard from them. 

2 hours ago, oncovirus said:

I was interviewed last Feb 8 for their Virology and Gene Therapy program. I'm a bit worried now because I haven't heard from them. 

Hey I am sorry to hear that but I do not know what might be going on with your track admissions. Let me know if you get any other updates and all the very best!!