MS ECE Fall 2010

romanov12

Hi,

Im in my final year of Electronics and Communication Engineering from IIIT, Hyderabad, India(Ranked 6th in the country for engineering).

My stats are as follows:-

GPA: 8.6/10 (rank 5 out of 40)

GRE: quant=800, verbal=750

TOEFL: 117/120

Dept Applying to: Electrical and Computer Engineering

Field of Interest: Computer Hardware, Digital Design, FPGAs

Research: 2-3 major projects in my field of interest. One research paper submitted for review at GLSVLSI '09

Work Experience: Summer internship for a R&D firm in hardware design.

Extra-curricular: Student Parliament member, Member of univ soccer team, Head of outreach and sponsorship teams for college events

I will be applying for an MS to the following colleges:

1.Stanford or UC Berkeley or UIUC

2.Texas A &M

3. U Texas at Austin

4. North Carolina State University or U Minnesota, Twin Cities

5.Penn State University

6. Oregon State University

7. University of Toronto

I am aiming of not so costly colleges, so aid would be welcome. Could anyone please advise me on these colleges? I am bothered that I am aiming too low.

Thanks!

you listed some of the top programs in the United States, it's pretty hard to aim higher.

you definitely have a good shot at those programs, have you looked at Purdue, Georgia Tech, MIT, Wisconsin-Madison, Michigan, CalTech or Cornell?

you listed some of the top programs in the United States, it's pretty hard to aim higher.

you definitely have a good shot at those programs, have you looked at Purdue, Georgia Tech, MIT, Wisconsin-Madison, Michigan, CalTech or Cornell?

Oh..Thanks for your reply. Yes, I did consider the programs that you have mentioned, but you see cost of attendance is an important factor for me. So , GaTech, MIT , Wisc-Mad, CalTech and Cornell all go out of contention.

Do help me choose among the ORs (Stanford or UC Berkeley or UIUC) and ( North Carolina State University or U Minnesota, Twin Cities or Univ of McGill)

Hi,

Im in my final year of Electronics and Communication Engineering from IIIT, Hyderabad, India(Ranked 6th in the country for engineering).

My stats are as follows:-

GPA: 8.6/10 (rank 5 out of 40)

GRE: quant=800, verbal=750

TOEFL: 117/120

Dept Applying to: Electrical and Computer Engineering

Field of Interest: Computer Hardware, Digital Design, FPGAs

Research: 2-3 major projects in my field of interest. One research paper submitted for review at GLSVLSI '09

Work Experience: Summer internship for a R&D firm in hardware design.

Extra-curricular: Student Parliament member, Member of univ soccer team, Head of outreach and sponsorship teams for college events

I will be applying for an MS to the following colleges:

1.Stanford or UC Berkeley or UIUC

2.Texas A &M

3. U Texas at Austin

4. North Carolina State University or U Minnesota, Twin Cities

5.Penn State University

6. Oregon State University

7. University of Toronto

I am aiming of not so costly colleges, so aid would be welcome. Could anyone please advise me on these colleges? I am bothered that I am aiming too low.

Thanks!

Don't try University of Toronto. It could waste you $110 as they rarely accept international students now due to a policy change. It costs more to Professors if they take an international student.

In engineering, most if not all grad students are funded. If the school has professors that you want to work with definitely drop them an email.

What is your concentration? UIUC is very good in DSP and solid state, Berkeley is pretty strong across the board, Stanford's MS does not require research.

In engineering, most if not all grad students are funded. If the school has professors that you want to work with definitely drop them an email.

What is your concentration? UIUC is very good in DSP and solid state, Berkeley is pretty strong across the board, Stanford's MS does not require research.

Computer Architecture (Hardware side), Digital Design, FPGAs

from what abc said you should probably drop Toronto.

your list might look like

Berkeley, Stanford, UIUC, UT-Austin, Penn State, U M, Oregon State.

you may want to add one or two pure safety schools. you might also look at some of the other top schools and make some switches to your list if you find schools/cities/faculty that you particularly like.