verito526

Hey all-- 

So I am currently applying to econ masters degrees around the US straight out of undergrad... 3.92 GPA but my GRE Quant is 158
I haven't had any professional experience in the field but Im getting a BS Econ with Calc1 and 2, linear algebra, basic stats, econometrics, and  math econ. 

so far I've gotten into BU- Masters in Econ Policy, Johns Hopkins- Applied Econ, and UMD MPS Applied Econ... 

I also applied to U Michigan, Duke, UCLA, NYU, Fordham, and a few others.. 

I am not doing a phd because my long term goals are not research or academia.. 

I like policy, money/banking/finance , and development ...

Thoughts on where I should go? 

• 2 months later...

I'm currently at UT and I'm enjoying the program. It's a one year intensive and about half our cohort is seeking jobs when the program is over. PM me if you have any questions about the program! 

An Econ MS is fine if you want to do development, but in the US, it is not the desirable degree for either policy or finance (unless by "policy" you mean the Fed, but that's 99% research and 1% chatting about policy at the water cooler). For finance, your chances are eons better if you do an MBA or an MSQF, and for policy, work experience and one of those hot-ticket professional government schools. A word about development, the field has been angling heavily towards hiring research PhDs, at least the outfits that pay a salary with benefits. In the US, the MS is heavily a way to strengthen your PhD application.