Seton Hall Museum Professions

standardstamps

It's a small and supportive program with very knowledgeable professors and opportunities for networking. Some courses are very art-based because a few professors are art history professors. You'll take several field trips to NJ and NYC museums and get to meet some of the employees who work there, some who are graduates of the program. Seton Hall is also in a very good location for internships and museum jobs. Not only are you close to NYC that you can commute from NJ, there are also internship and volunteer opportunities at the Newark Museum, the Montclair Art Museum, Thomas Edison NHS, and Ellis Island.  There are also a few small historical societies. South Orange seems like a decent place to live and there is a train that goes from there to NYC. I think it takes about 45-60 minutes to commute  If you have a car, the surrounding towns are also pretty decent. I would just avoid Newark. I would also keep in mind that this program is very expensive and the job market is tough. Having a graduate degree in museum studies opens doors for professional opportunities but does not guarantee anything. I believe that students who have a lot of volunteer and internship experience in addition to their degrees have an easier time finding jobs. 

@catsandmarathonsThank you for the information! There's a lot of truth in your message... the job market is tough! I have about 4 years of combined internship and work experience, and I still have not been able to get a full-time position in a museum. I'm working in a library now, which is great, but it isn't my desired institution. This is why I am going to graduate school. Like you said, hopefully it will open the door for more professional opportunities.

Can I ask you how you know about the Seton Hall program?