MGH Institute of Health Professions 2016

I just wanted to get this thread started in case any of us had questions! I'm also unable to attend the Welcome Day on April 9th, so I wanted to see what everyone had to say about it! 

Congratulations to everyone accepted! SUPER excited for this one. :)

I am elated! I have to hear back from my number 1 (Vanderbilt), but will most likely go with MGH as I got a great financial package from them! I guess there were a ton of applicants this year which makes me feel even better! Congrats to everyone who got in!

5 hours ago, thefronge said:

When are they going to send out the official email acceptance? 

Dr. Lof told me on the phone that official emails will come out on Monday! 

for those of you accepted, did you hear via email, your portal, or phone? my portal still says "complete and ready for review" I am super nervous that I am going to be rejected! :( does anyone know if they send out acceptances over the course of a few days? 

3 hours ago, chg38 said:

for those of you accepted, did you hear via email, your portal, or phone? my portal still says "complete and ready for review" I am super nervous that I am going to be rejected! :( does anyone know if they send out acceptances over the course of a few days? 

I got a phone call yesterday morning but my portal hasn't updated yet 

Hi everyone!

Congrats on all of your acceptance! I was starting to get nervous that I was out, but I just just accepted this morning! This was one of my top choices so I am thrilled. Is everyone considering going to the open house? I have no idea how to choose between schools and naturally they all fall on similar weekends, and it gets to be a lot of money in flights since I am all the way from Minnesota! How do we make a decision?! I am already so overwhelmed, but it's a good problem to have :)

Congrats again everyone!

Congratulations everybody! I was also worried that I wasn't going to be accepted because I hadn't received a phone call on 3/2 and 3/3. But today I got the call and was so elated! I am attending the visit day on April 9th, as I'm only a 4 hour drive from Boston. @rose6593, I hope it works out for you. I see you've been accepted to 4 schools so far -- that is amazing!  I'm in the same boat, too... It's definitely a good problem for us, and we should feel very thankful to have these worries :) but try to consider factors like cost, length of the program, location & type of location (city vs rural), specialty tracks, externship placements, etc... Don't worry, though, we have until April 15th.

Are most of all of you guys interested in working w adults/the medical setting? I haven't Really gotten the hospital experience yet, but I've always really leaned towards working w kids. I'm worried mgh wouldn't be a good fit for me even though it's such a great program :/

i guess what I'm really asking is how much does mgh emphasize adults/the medical setting over everything else? 

On 3/5/2016 at 9:37 AM, orange23 said:

Are most of all of you guys interested in working w adults/the medical setting? I haven't Really gotten the hospital experience yet, but I've always really leaned towards working w kids. I'm worried mgh wouldn't be a good fit for me even though it's such a great program :/

i guess what I'm really asking is how much does mgh emphasize adults/the medical setting over everything else? 

In the online information session - which you can watch here: http://info.mghihp.edu/slpwebinar/recording - Dr. Nicholas said that MGH actually is not a medically-focused program, despite the association with the hospital. In fact, one of their unique characteristics is their focus on literacy (they offer a certification for reading/literacy educators on top of the literacy specialty track). The presentation also had some slides on the settings that graduates from each class work in, and it showed a lot of variation across the years, but pretty much reflected 1/2 school, 1/2 medical. Some years there were more graduates in school settings than medical settings. Some years it was the opposite.

Oh and they also have an autism specialty track! Here's some of their sample curriculums: http://www.mghihp.edu/academics/communication-sciences-and-disorders/degree-options/master-of-science-speech-language-pathology/Curriculum-Plans.aspx

Just to answer your question, I am more interested in working with adults than children. If I go to MGH, I would be interested in the neurogenic disorders concentration. But I am keeping an open mind. Who knows, I might change my interest once I see what the school setting is like.

Hello everyone! Congratulations!!

I got an admit from MGHIHP on the 3rd too! I'm super excited about this university. Will mostly accept this offer.. However, I'm waiting to hear back from a few other universities too.

As I'm an international student, will be unable to attend the open house on April 9th.. do keep me posted about what happens. :)

Edited by gradgirl2016

Hi everyone!

I was just wondering if anyone has talked to current or former MGHIHP students.  The program seems phenomenal, and I'm excited about the prospect of more in-depth classes and the possibility of choosing a concentration.  All that said, it would be great to have some reassurance that the program is as good in reality as it looks on paper.  Also, I've heard that getting adult/medical clinical placements within the Boston area is competitive because of the multiple SLP programs--does anyone know if MGHIHP students have an advantage because of the affiliation with the hospital?  Any information would be appreciated!

Hey guys!!

I've been accepted here and I am 95% sure that I will be going here. A friend of mine who is in their program now loves it and the opportunities she has! She also says living in Boston is great! A professor of mine did some internships there while she was getting her PhD and she says that the program is an excellent one! 

Is anyone else going to the accepted students day on April 9th? I definitely am and can share back with you guys some of the awesome things. I also know there are info sessions that the school has recorded on their site. I watched one live and the professor was super nice and helpful! 

Where did you guys find out about your financial offers from MGH? I was accepted via phone call but was at work so I couldn't chat for very long. I'm still waiting to hear back from a few schools right now and need to weigh out all my financial options. Student loans are just SO FUN. I'm also from Kansas so moving will be a lot.

On 3/13/2016 at 7:06 AM, hopefulspeechie16 said:

@gradgirl2016 my friend is an international applicant that applied to the same Texas schools. Do you know if they accept internationals or favor domestic/American applicants?

Hello @hopefulspeechie16 - As far as i know, UT Dallas does accept a fair amount of international applicants. I haven't heard the same about UT Austin.

However, I haven't received a reply from either yet.. So, I'm keeping my fingers crossed! Best of luck to your friend too!

On March 6, 2016 at 7:52 PM, limegreen19 said:

In the online information session - which you can watch here: http://info.mghihp.edu/slpwebinar/recording - Dr. Nicholas said that MGH actually is not a medically-focused program, despite the association with the hospital. In fact, one of their unique characteristics is their focus on literacy (they offer a certification for reading/literacy educators on top of the literacy specialty track). The presentation also had some slides on the settings that graduates from each class work in, and it showed a lot of variation across the years, but pretty much reflected 1/2 school, 1/2 medical. Some years there were more graduates in school settings than medical settings. Some years it was the opposite.

Oh and they also have an autism specialty track! Here's some of their sample curriculums: http://www.mghihp.edu/academics/communication-sciences-and-disorders/degree-options/master-of-science-speech-language-pathology/Curriculum-Plans.aspx

Just to answer your question, I am more interested in working with adults than children. If I go to MGH, I would be interested in the neurogenic disorders concentration. But I am keeping an open mind. Who knows, I might change my interest once I see what the school setting is like.

I would also be doing the adult neurogenic concentration! This school is definitely in my top programs so there is a high chance I will be going here. Just weighing my other options and trying to see where would be the best fit!

On 3/13/2016 at 7:06 AM, hopefulspeechie16 said:

@gradgirl2016 my friend is an international applicant that applied to the same Texas schools. Do you know if they accept internationals or favor domestic/American applicants?

Hey @hopefulspeechie16! Just to keep you updated, I received an admit from UTD. Rejection for UT Austin though.

Did your friend hear anything back? Where is she from?

I'm an international applicant too and I'm hoping to find some roommates before I go to UTD :)

Edited by gradgirl2016

On 3/19/2016 at 6:00 PM, CMD2494 said:

Where would you guys look at for housing? Anyone know of common neighborhoods that students going to MGH usually live?

I feel like alot of people live around somerville or brighton?? and it's also on the cheaper side compared to some other places? Not really sure though. I won't be having a car so kinda nervous about that

also for anyones that said they're going to the open house - we just email them right? didn't get a response so just wanted to make sure!

Edited by orange23

On March 18, 2016 at 1:37 PM, gradgirl2016 said:

Hey @hopefulspeechie16! Just to keep you updated, I received an admit from UTD. Rejection for UT Austin though.

Did your friend hear anything back? Where is she from?

I'm an international applicant too and I'm hoping to find some roommates before I go to UTD :)

@gradgirl2016She's from India also. She got accepted to Syracuse too and is just weighing her options. She's a bit freaked out about the Texas and gun safety thing so she's leaning more to NY. Congrats on your acceptance! I've heard the program is amazing.