GRE and Student Affairs Programs

Snow21

Hello everyone, 

I was hoping to get an idea of what typical student affairs master's program GRE scores look like. I took the GRE a few years ago before going for my English MA. My scores were good enough to get into a couple MA programs but I have no idea if the student affairs folks would want higher scores. Does anyone have any idea about this? 

Edited by Snow21

I believe the minimum accepted Q score is 130, V score: 143. Median Q is 154, V is 157. Min AWA is 3.5, Median 4.5. This is based on Grad Cafe survey data (maximum 500 Masters & PhD results, but probably a lot less so could be total gibberish) but these scores are only for Masters degrees.

I built this https://grad-cafe-visualizations.herokuapp.com/ app to visualize Grad Cafe data. I searched for "student affairs"; degree: Masters.

22 hours ago, juanmesh said:

I believe the minimum accepted Q score is 130, V score: 143. Median Q is 154, V is 157. Min AWA is 3.5, Median 4.5. This is based on Grad Cafe survey data (maximum 500 Masters & PhD results, but probably a lot less so could be total gibberish) but these scores are only for Masters degrees.

I built this https://grad-cafe-visualizations.herokuapp.com/ app to visualize Grad Cafe data. I searched for "student affairs"; degree: Masters.

Sorry, here's the right link - https://grad-cafe-visualizations.herokuapp.com/

Edited by juanmesh

On 3/4/2016 at 10:53 PM, Snow21 said:

I took the GRE a few years ago before going for my English MA.  

Just a note that GREs are only good for 5 years.

On the two admissions committees I sat on in two different higher ed programs - GREs were not that important in the general scheme of things.  Faculty were much more interested in SOP, recommendations, academic preparation, and research fit (at the doctoral level).

9 hours ago, ZeChocMoose said:

Just a note that GREs are only good for 5 years.

On the two admissions committees I sat on in two different higher ed programs - GREs were not that important in the general scheme of things.  Faculty were much more interested in SOP, recommendations, academic preparation, and research fit (at the doctoral level).

Thank you. It's nice to get insight from folks who have been on the other side of the application experience. 

My GRE scores won't expire until late 2017 so applying this fall is my last chance to use them. I was mostly wondering if re taking it would do much good. Overall, the three schools I'm planning to apply to right now don't ask for GREs ( not on purpose just the way it worked out). 

• 2 weeks later...

Personally I would say if the schools you are interested in don't require it then don't waste the money to send it in or retake it. I applied for student affairs programs for this fall and only one of the schools required it. Where are you thinking of applying? I always love to hear where people are interested in attending! :)

2 hours ago, ChasingMavericks said:

Personally I would say if the schools you are interested in don't require it then don't waste the money to send it in or retake it. I applied for student affairs programs for this fall and only one of the schools required it. Where are you thinking of applying? I always love to hear where people are interested in attending! :)

I'm looking at Northern Arizona university and Seattle university (dropped down to 2 looking for a different  third school ) They have good opportunities to really gain practical  experience in student affairs which is one of my most important things. 

Edited by Snow21

I wanted to apply to NAU! (I'm from the Phoenix area) I didn't even realize it had what I wanted until it was just too late to pull together an application. I ended up applying to two schools in Minnesota and just had an interview at one of them today.