Florida State University/Tallahassee

Hi! I recently was accepted to the MS in Speech-Language Pathology program Florida State University and am wondering if anyone can provide insight on the program and Tallahassee. I'm from the Midwest so I don't know much about the school or the area. From what I've read online and heard so far, I think I would really like the program but I would love some additional input to help me make my decision. Thanks!

Edited by SLP_lm

I did my undergrad at FSU, and I currently live in Tallahassee! Congrats on getting in to their master's program! I unfortunately did not get in. But the city is great! It isn't too small or too big. Definitely a college town. There is a decent mall, lots of good bars and restaurants! FSU is beautiful! The Speech and Hearing Clinic is off campus, but very close to the main campus! And the cost of living here is pretty cheap too :). Let me know if you have any other questions! 

I also attended FSU for my first bachelors. I have lived in Tallahassee for 15 years. I love it here and I am sad that I am going to have to leave in 5 months to attend grad school. If you have any questions I would be happy to answer them! 

Hi! Thank you both for your responses! With the clinic being off campus, do you have most of your classes at the clinic or is there another building where classes take place? 

I'm also wondering where most students in this program live (specific apartments/streets/areas that you like, areas to avoid, etc).  I saw another thread about housing in Tallahassee however many of the posts dated back several years and I am hoping for some more up to date information.

Thanks again for your help!

20 minutes ago, SLP_lm said:

Hi! Thank you both for your responses! With the clinic being off campus, do you have most of your classes at the clinic or is there another building where classes take place? 

I'm also wondering where most students in this program live (specific apartments/streets/areas that you like, areas to avoid, etc).  I saw another thread about housing in Tallahassee however many of the posts dated back several years and I am hoping for some more up to date information.

Thanks again for your help!

You are very welcome! And I have a few friends in the program now. The classes would be at the speech and hearing clinic. There are classrooms in there, and also the clinic. The building is a little older, but I like the clinic a lot! 

And I feel like most graduate students live in midtown area. I live right by campus- rent is pretty cheap, and the neighborhood is quiet! If you want to PM, I can give you more information about my housing situation, and other housing options! I would stay away from the newer apartments that are currently being built, or just were built. The city is growing pretty fast, and a lot of undergrads are paying a ton of money to live in the newer, nicer apartments. If you're looking for a good, but cheaper place to live, I am more than happy to list off some apartments for you! 

I think the fact that Communication Disorders is housed in a separate building away from campus is nice because parking should be less of an issue.  I HATED finding parking when I went to FSU. I live in midtown so can answer questions about that particular area. If you can afford to live in midtown I highly recommend it. Actually my townhouse should be available in August since I am going to have to relocate for grad school, lol. Tallahassee has changed so much for the better in the time that I have lived here. Also I observe at the local rehab center on Wednesdays and its usually the FSU grad students doing most of the therapy.  I can reach out to them if you have any particular questions about the program.  It has a great reputation locally.  All of my friends who have taken their children to receive speech therapy at the clinic have been very happy with it. Feel free to ask any addition questions here or via private message.