Switched a Major before classes start?

HistoricScout

Question

Hi all. I'm new here. I'm waiting to hear on an a decision from IUPUI on their museum studies program. Anyway, I originally have my BA from Purdue (Boiler Up!) and I applied to IUPUI for museum studies in hopes of maybe becoming a museum curator. I've been volunteering at the Benjamin Harrison Home since 2012 in Indianapolis and I've had an intern with the curator learning curating practices. But there is still a part of me that wants to become a historian. My focus was the civil war and the western theater while at Purdue. 

My question is that if I am accepted into IUPUI's museum studies program is it possible to switch majors before classes start and not lose time? I would want to switch into Public History with a Museum Studies certificate track as public history is actually a decent route to take if you are considering a historian route. (I.e: you can still do a thesis and still get historian training without a traditional history MA).

Would it be frowned on switching majors if I am accepted? Or is it rather common?

4 answers to this question

I'm not sure how IUPUI handle's admissions, but a quick google leads me to believe these are two separate programs. Most graduate programs decide independently of each other, so I'd think it rather unlikely that you could switch programs.

You could always ask, but I'd be doubtful.

I disagree that public history is less academic. The field applies history methodology to the dissemination of the topic to the public (plus public history theory). My undergrad program in public history required the same coursework as non-ph students. Those who decided to specialize in public history took those extra classes and went out "in the field" to gain hands-on experience. We write papers, present at conferences, etc just like traditional historians. And the bonus to being a public historian is that it is flexible and multidisciplinary--we get to attend AHA, OHA, NCPH, AAM, ALA, et al conferences based on our field of study.

OP, I'm not sure about whether switching is terribly common, but I think you're on the right track. Mostly because the museum field is more about experience than a degree. Having that history background--and a specific historical topic--while interning or volunteering during your studies will make you more competitive in the job market.

Make sure that you execute actual projects or tasks rather than do busy work or basic work that the curator leaves you alone to do (like cleaning artifacts, lol). Examples would be assisting with every step of creating, researching and mounting an exhibition. Doing community outreach. Guest speaking about the topics. Presenting your research/methods at museum conferences.

Museum professionals mean well, but the prospect of free labor from grad students who are just happy to work in a museum, can lead to them not feeling it's important to train you as a museum professional. This is your career and education, and you are their (future) colleague.

Edited by NoirFemme

I agree with Neist. Graduate school is nothing like undergraduate whee you can switch majors whenever you want. You are accepted into a specific program. You'd have to read-apply next year for the other program.

I also agree with Neist. For grad school, you're accepted into a specific  program. It doesn't seem very likely that you can just switch from the museum studies program to the public history one. You would have to submit another application.

From my experiences as a museum professional, the people I have met with public history degrees tend to go into museums (typically local history museums and history houses), archives, oral history, and historic preservation. NCPH's job listings are very similar to AAM's job listings. It seems people who pursue a public history degree and people who pursue a museum studies degree usually end up pursuing similar jobs, but their approaches to gaining skills and entering this competitive field differed. I would keep in mind that public history is less academic than traditional history and depending on your career, your interests in history may or may not align with where you end up working.