SAIS Fall 2016

SAIS notifications are supposed to be going out this Friday according to their blog. Who else is waiting? What concentrations did you choose? Where is SAIS on your preferences?

I've only heard back from SIPA so far, but I'm kind of expecting to only be accepted to SAIS and SIPA, and I should know from the other schools by Friday as well. I applied to the IDEV track at SAIS.

Between SAIS and SIPA, for some reason the language aspect is drawing me toward DC.. I've also been afraid of the general SIPA is too big mantra that I see. Though, I know I need to put that out of mind because it's probably not true, and I'll go visit either way.

I picked the European and Eurasian studies concentration. SAIS is my second top choice; I got accepted to my top choice with some funding so the only way I'll go to SAIS at this point is if they give me more money than Georgetown. I currently live in the DC area and cannot imagine studying gov affairs in any other city. There's just too many opportunities here.

I applied for the MA, but I'm having second thoughts about the concentration I picked for the application. If I do get in, does anyone know if you can switch the concentration? (I'm assuming so, but want to check)

Edited by SenNoodles

20 minutes ago, monocle said:

SAIS notifications are supposed to be going out this Friday according to their blog. Who else is waiting? What concentrations did you choose? Where is SAIS on your preferences?

I've only heard back from SIPA so far, but I'm kind of expecting to only be accepted to SAIS and SIPA, and I should know from the other schools by Friday as well. I applied to the IDEV track at SAIS.

Between SAIS and SIPA, for some reason the language aspect is drawing me toward DC.. I've also been afraid of the general SIPA is too big mantra that I see. Though, I know I need to put that out of mind because it's probably not true, and I'll go visit either way.

I've applied to SAIS too and am eagerly awaiting the admissions decisions on Friday. SAIS is second on my list behind Georgetown SFS MSFS, and I applied to the General International Relations concentration since it affords so much flexibility and crossover with other sub-concentrations within the IR category. I really like how SAIS incorporates language learning within the curriculum and makes it an integral component of the identity of the program, as opposed to programs like Georgetown and Columbia that basically have the "you're on your own" attitude towards additional language study. That said, Georgetown's curriculum as a whole, emphasis on diplomacy, public service/fed gov't career track orientation and network in DC edge SAIS enough to make it my #1. Unfortunately I live abroad at the moment and can't visit the programs before enrolling, so I'm jealous that you have the opportunity to do that. Where else have you applied? Make sure to come back and let us know how the visits go! Best of luck. 

Edited by 6speed!

9 minutes ago, SenNoodles said:

I applied for the MA, but I'm having second thoughts about the concentration I picked for the application. If I do get in, does anyone know if you can switch the concentration? (I'm assuming so, but want to check)

I've read that it is possible to switch it, but in all fairness that was on another thread on this forum and not straight from SAIS itself. 

24 minutes ago, SenNoodles said:

13 minutes ago, 6speed! said:

I've read that it is possible to switch it, but in all fairness that was on another thread on this forum and not straight from SAIS itself. 

You can switch concentrations except for IDEV which can only switch out to a different concentration.

47 minutes ago, 6speed! said:

Unfortunately I live abroad at the moment and can't visit the programs before enrolling, so I'm jealous that you have the opportunity to do that. Where else have you applied? Make sure to come back and let us know how the visits go! Best of luck. 

I've been abroad too, but thankfully have a ticket to visit home in April! V. excited for Mexican food. I applied to HKS (rejected), SIPA, SAIS, WWS (rejected in the wave today), and a couple other that I was accepted but eliminated after the SIPA acceptance.

I didn't consider GTown, which I am not sure if I should regret.. but I don't want to work for the gov't nor foreign service, so I thought it might not be the best fit.

Edited by monocle
Sadly rejected from HKS :(

25 minutes ago, Zaksh said:

I got accepted for MA SAIS (1 year in Bologna and second year in DC). Has anyone received any funding from SAIS? 

You've already heard back? Are you an international student by chance? I'm anxiously refreshing my email inbox if they have started to release decisions.

Just now, hina234 said:

You've already heard back? Are you an international student by chance? I'm anxiously refreshing my email inbox if they have started to release decisions.

I applied for the EN deadline, hence.

I applied for the MA program with my concentration being IDEV! I know that concentration is difficult to get into so I also expressed interest in their Latin American studies concentration, which I've heard is also really good. Originally I was a little intimidated by SAIS and its emphasis on econ, but the more research I do the more I am attracted to essentially being "forced" to do some math. I know that once I have gone through the courses I'll be thankful to have those skills. We'll see! I don't have as much experience as others, probably only about two and a half years put together, but I think it's solid experience and am very eager to hear from SAIS!

I applied for the Energy, Resources and Environment concentration, and would plan to pursue the Latin American studies minor. In a perfect world SAIS would probably be my top choice, since I'd like to work in clean energy policy in the Americas and SAIS' curriculum exactly matches these goals (Specifically, the Electricity track here plus some climate change track classes. It's perfect!) In the real world I'm comfortable admitting that even getting into SAIS is gonna be tough with my literally below-average undergrad GPA, and I'm vanishingly unlikely to get the level of funding that would make SAIS competitive with UCSD (another of my top choices whose curriculum is also perfect for me).

That said I'm moderately hopeful. Even getting into SAIS would be a feel-good victory for me, and I think my Analytical Essay did a good job of showcasing my defined professional interests and writing skills. So who knows? 

Edited by mapiau

4 minutes ago, coffeeandtravel said:

I applied for the MA program with my concentration being IDEV! I know that concentration is difficult to get into so I also expressed interest in their Latin American studies concentration, which I've heard is also really good. Originally I was a little intimidated by SAIS and its emphasis on econ, but the more research I do the more I am attracted to essentially being "forced" to do some math. I know that once I have gone through the courses I'll be thankful to have those skills. We'll see! I don't have as much experience as others, probably only about two and a half years put together, but I think it's solid experience and am very eager to hear from SAIS!

That's how I'm feeling about the econ and math too! 

2 minutes ago, mapiau said:

I applied for the Energy, Resources and Environment concentration, and would plan to pursue the Latin American studies minor. In a perfect world SAIS would probably be my top choice, since I'd like to work in clean energy policy in the Americas and SAIS' curriculum exactly matches these goals (Specifically, the Electricity track here plus some climate change track classes. It's perfect!) In the real world I'm comfortable admitting that even getting into SAIS is gonna be tough with my literally below-average undergrad GPA, and I'm vanishingly unlikely to get the level of funding that would make SAIS competitive with UCSD (another of my top choices whose curriculum is also perfect for me).

That said I'm moderately hopeful. Even getting into SAIS would be a feel-good victory for me, and I think my Analytical Essay did a good job of showcasing my defined professional interests and writing skills. So who knows? 

I feel ya. I think I have a decent chance of being accepted, but I'm not sure about the funding so I'm trying not to get my hopes up. If I don't receive any funding there is no way I could go (barring winning the lottery...maybe I should start playing?) so I'm trying to be cautiously optimistic. I have already gotten into Korbel with money so I feel a little less anxious about the DC schools I applied to

28 minutes ago, 6speed! said:

That's how I'm feeling about the econ and math too! 

I'm glad I'm not the only one! How did you do on your quant for the GRE? I'm in the middle 50% for SAIS but above for the verbal and GPA by a significant amount so I feel a little better about it...but I know it's important for funding. I don't have a ton of math on my transcript--just statistics and finite--but I took my two econ courses this fall with As in both so I'm hoping that overcomes some shortcomings there...

Edited by coffeeandtravel
Edit: wrote GRE when I meant GPA

I applied for the IDEV track with Energy, Resources, and Environment (ERE) being my second choice concentration. Originally, SIPA was my first choice going in to the application process, but the more I learned about SAIS and met with current students, it is now at the top of my list. Every SAIS student or alumni I've talked love the school so they are doing something right. I also went to the Taster Lecture, which I thought was fantastic, and did the optional interview which hopefully works in my favor. Anxiously waiting for Friday!

8 minutes ago, coffeeandtravel said:

I'm glad I'm not the only one! How did you do on your quant for the GRE? I'm in the middle 50% for SAIS but above for the verbal and GRE by a significant amount so I feel a little better about it...but I know it's important for funding. I don't have a ton of math on my transcript--just statistics and finite--but I took my two econ courses this fall with As in both so I'm hoping that overcomes some shortcomings there...

We have very similar stats here - I'm at the higher end of the middle 50% for quant, well above the middle 50% for verbal and received a very high AW score. I also have limited math/econ on my transcript (with basically good grades, however), but I'm hoping the rest of my application makes up for it. The fact that you got As in both econ courses so recently will surely help you out. 

Edited by 6speed!

6 minutes ago, coffeeandtravel said:

I'm glad I'm not the only one! How did you do on your quant for the GRE? I'm in the middle 50% for SAIS but above for the verbal and GRE by a significant amount so I feel a little better about it...but I know it's important for funding. I don't have a ton of math on my transcript--just statistics and finite--but I took my two econ courses this fall with As in both so I'm hoping that overcomes some shortcomings there...

I'm about the same. I'm in the upper range of the middle 50% for the GRE quant, and far above for the Verbal.

Though in undergrad I was a double major in Econ and poli sci-focused International Studies, which is really a double edged sword—it's good that I have strong econ preparation for SAIS, but my transcript also makes it obvious that I'm far better at qualitative than the quantitative. I'd hoped to minimize the spread between the two on the GRE to compensate, but unfortunately really didn't. I have no idea how the SAIS admissions committee will view this.

Oops, I misspoke...I meant significantly above for the GPA ha! Wow, too much time stressing out about my GRE score. I'm in the lower part of the 50% but hey, they give a range for a reason, right? Thanks for assuaging some of those quant fears, guys! I'm with you @mapiau...I studied for the GRE and still panicked on the quant section and got a lower score than I was hoping. Did yall leave open the option for Bologna or did you choose DC for both years?

2 minutes ago, coffeeandtravel said:

Did yall leave open the option for Bologna or did you choose DC for both years?

I put myself down for both. I don't have any real draw to study in Bologna and don't speak any Italian, but figured it might increase my chances of getting in.

1 minute ago, mapiau said:

I put myself down for both. I don't have any real draw to study in Bologna and don't speak any Italian, but figured it might increase my chances of getting in.

Yeah, I put down both, as well. I think it would be awesome to study in Italy (though I don't know Italian) but would be open to either. Plus I figured it wouldn't hurt my chances to be flexible

10 minutes ago, coffeeandtravel said:

Oops, I misspoke...I meant significantly above for the GPA ha! Wow, too much time stressing out about my GRE score. I'm in the lower part of the 50% but hey, they give a range for a reason, right? Thanks for assuaging some of those quant fears, guys! I'm with you @mapiau...I studied for the GRE and still panicked on the quant section and got a lower score than I was hoping. Did yall leave open the option for Bologna or did you choose DC for both years?

I have been living abroad for a while so I decided I wanted to spend the entire two years in DC - I think the curriculum and the environment will be better for me academically, but I also think I'll benefit more from two years in DC from the professional/networking/internship perspective. It would be really neat to study and live in Italy, though, and I definitely considered indicating I was open to both. I think doing so and being flexible on that regard certainly works in your guys' favor, acceptance wise.