Possibly the stupidest question ever

ridgey

I've just been registering my letter-writers for the online applications. I've done a few (not to mention last year's application season) and it occurs to me I may have been doing it wrong. Not a good look.

The "title" field - does this mean title they get called, as in Dr/Lord/Sultan etc, or their position title, as in Professor/Dean/Ruler of the Universe?

The field is usually not near the name, but near the institutional details, if that makes a difference.

I think in some of mine I wrote in "Dr." Mr.," whatever, but I think in at least one I didn't fill that part out at all (you'll notice it's optional). I think it's just there so that in the automatically generated emails, they address them by their proper titles. That's just my assumption though, and I could be wrong.

On one app, I put their job title ("professor" or "CEO" or whatever), then realized after I submitted it that the application was putting it in front of their names ("CEO John Doe"). D'oh. I hope I only did it on that one.