Acceptance in Museum Studies distance program- loan questions

Rin

I just got accepted into a distance Master's degree program in Museum Studies through University of Oklahoma Outreach. I'm a little confused about the loans I have received, though. Since it's a distance program, I figured the loans would only be for tuition and books/materials, but I have a lot factored in like Transportation and Living Expenses, even though it's a Distance program. Is this usual for distance programs or did something wonky happen?

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/11/2016 at 0:04 PM, Rin said:

I just got accepted into a distance Master's degree program in Museum Studies through University of Oklahoma Outreach. I'm a little confused about the loans I have received, though. Since it's a distance program, I figured the loans would only be for tuition and books/materials, but I have a lot factored in like Transportation and Living Expenses, even though it's a Distance program. Is this usual for distance programs or did something wonky happen?

That's perfectly normal, at least it's normal in Oklahoma (and at OU). I've been attending OU for quite a long while now, and their estimates are always far more than necessary. Of course, you don't have to take out the full amount of loans, but I guess it's nice that they offer it.

• 1 year later...
On 3/28/2016 at 6:35 PM, Need Coffee in an IV said:

yeah I think they were just giving you the option for the full amount. I'm curious, why did you decide on a long distance program and what do you want to study? I'm also going for my masters in museum science!

Wow, I haven't been on this forum in forever, so sorry for the response over a year later

I chose to do a distance program because I work in the museum industry in Las Vegas, but our local university only had Public History as an option and they do not have the best reputation (many students have had issues getting all the courses they need to graduate offered so they could graduate on time). I wanted to do a Museum Studies degree vs. Public History due to the fact that I wanted it to be a bit more versatile as I have worked with history, natural history, art, and anthropology/archaeology, so I wanted to make sure all of those things were an option once I completed the degree. 

Halfway through my degree I managed to land my first full-time job in a museum, so it has been going well! One year to go for my degree, now.

On ‎3‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 0:04 PM, Rin said:

I just finished an English MA that was partially online/partially in person for me. Most of the students were at a distance. I just happened to live here already and ended up as a GA for the term of my masters. Financial Aid calculates all of the same things into your loan that it would if you were at the university in person. You will always having living expenses and transportation costs no mater where you are and it's simply part of the calculation. Some students who are at a distance work and some don't work but take full class loads instead, the same as if they were in person at the university. You can take partial loans if you so desire.

Hahaha, I'm sure you have it all figured out now. Just realized this was an old thread.

Edited by cowgirlsdontcry

@Rin Congrats! I also have one more year to go in my program as well! I also enjoy the versatility in a museum program. I'm currently interviewing for full time internships atm. Fingers crossed I get a bite. I'll know by August 8-10 if I got one internship and I have two more interviews to go.

On 7/30/2017 at 8:19 AM, Need Coffee in an IV said:

@Rin Congrats! I also have one more year to go in my program as well! I also enjoy the versatility in a museum program. I'm currently interviewing for full time internships atm. Fingers crossed I get a bite. I'll know by August 8-10 if I got one internship and I have two more interviews to go.

Thank you! 
And that's awesome; I wish you the best of luck with that!