University of Minnesota vs University of Chicago

Raychill

I was accepted to both the University of Minnesota and the University of Chicago! Yay. 

I received the Title IV-E fellowship at Minnesota which will cover my tuition and also guarantee me work after school is over. U of Chicago also gave me a very good scholarship but I would still have to pay some tuition. I am attracted  to U of C because it's in Chicago, it's a prestigious school with a large intellectual community. I am torn between staying in MN and having very little debt or taking a chance on a new city at a prestigious school. 

Anybody have advice? 

First of all, congrats on both acceptances and scholarships! Both schools are wonderful and it seems that they're both wanting to invest in you, which speaks volumes in the grad school world. Here's my take on this... 

I applied to four schools that are all very far away from me; I live in Tennessee. I've been wanting to live in a new place and experience more cultures so badly that I didn't even apply to a school in my state. I think this is a time in our lives to explore and be adventurous, to take risks. I would sit down and write a list of reasons you want to go to each school but leave the financial part out of it since you've been offered pretty good packages at each school. Then I would re-research each program and really assess which one is the best fit for you. If you think Chicago has the better program for your goals and you have more reasons to attend, then I would think that's your answer. For me, I would choose the best program that fits what I want/need. I also recommend reaching out to faculty at each school and maybe even touring to get a feel of where your comfort lies. 

I know money is a huge factor, but you've been offered a good amount from each school and I, personally, think you need to follow your heart on this one. 

Edited by BrendonSW