Information about online/distance programs

I'm wondering if anyone has any firsthand experience regarding distance programs. I've found a few blogs, but firsthand information has been tricky to find. I'm wondering if the experience and education is comparable to "traditional" programs. Specifically the programs at northern colorado, montana and western kentucky. Thanks! 

11 minutes ago, amc91 said:

I'm wondering if anyone has any firsthand experience regarding distance programs. I've found a few blogs, but firsthand information has been tricky to find. I'm wondering if the experience and education is comparable to "traditional" programs. Specifically the programs at northern colorado, montana and western kentucky. Thanks! 

Not at all comparable. You don't get any of the nuance that you get in the 3D situation. Although these programs are said to be accorded the same respect, it doesn't really work out that way in the real world.

5 hours ago, Agrippina said:

Not at all comparable. You don't get any of the nuance that you get in the 3D situation. Although these programs are said to be accorded the same respect, it doesn't really work out that way in the real world.

Thanks for your response! Have you heard/experienced anything specifically about the lack of nuance, as you put it? I am trying to get in contact with students from these programs, but have not had much luck so any opinions/information is greatly appreciated!

5 hours ago, Agrippina said:

I would have to respectfully disagree with you.  In the field of speech-language pathology, the most important aspect is accreditation by ASHA.  As long as the program is accredited by ASHA, and you can earn your CCC-SLP, it is completely legitimate.  My undergrad degree was completed on campus, and I am now working on my graduate degree via online (UW-Eau Claire), and can tell you first-hand that it is just as rigorous as my on-campus experience (different university).  You need to be completely self-motivated to complete readings, assignments, and find clinical placements.

amc91 - please feel free to message me if you have any further questions about online graduate learning.

When you are in a 3D class, you are able to interact directly with the instructor. Often, the instructor can tailor the course to the needs of the people sitting there. When you're not sitting there, it's entirely on you to be 1000 percent more proactive with contacting the instructor to ask questions, to prepare the material on the syllabus ahead of time, and to work alone. If you are very good at these tasks, you stand a good change of success even with the obvious and serious limitations of a distance course. But often, students do not have these skills, and they are basically invisible if they have trouble and don't speak up often and politely, almost before they realize there could be a problem. I have been an instructor and a student of these courses - so that's the source of my experience here.

7 minutes ago, Agrippina said:

When you are in a 3D class, you are able to interact directly with the instructor. Often, the instructor can tailor the course to the needs of the people sitting there. When you're not sitting there, it's entirely on you to be 1000 percent more proactive with contacting the instructor to ask questions, to prepare the material on the syllabus ahead of time, and to work alone. If you are very good at these tasks, you stand a good change of success even with the obvious and serious limitations of a distance course. But often, students do not have these skills, and they are basically invisible if they have trouble and don't speak up often and politely, almost before they realize there could be a problem. I have been an instructor and a student of these courses - so that's the source of my experience here.

I certainly respect your perspective.  Considering that you are in a different field altogether (Classics, PhD), your experience may be different than that of a student in speech-language pathology.

I took my CSD prereqs through CSUSM's online cohort, and I really enjoyed it. As Agrippina mentioned you do have to be very self-motivated, organised, and willing to ask questions through more non-traditional ways (email, phone exc) since office hours are not really an option. Because of my experience with online learning, I chose to pursue my masters through a distance program. I plan on attending Northern Colorado's online program starting in the Fall :) If you have more questions, feel free to PM me. 

It is entirely possible that my experience will be different here, but do consider that the problems discussed here are problems of teaching and learning, and these are universal. (Upcoming PhD is Teacher Ed and Teacher Development).

2 minutes ago, Agrippina said:

It is entirely possible that my experience will be different here, but do consider that the problems discussed here are problems of teaching and learning, and these are universal. (Upcoming PhD is Teacher Ed and Teacher Development).

I guess we will have to agree to disagree.  I can only say that my experience in UW-Eau Claire's online graduate program in CSD has been a fabulous experience, and I encourage others to give online learning respectful consideration.  It may not be for every student, but for those who cannot attend traditional, residential programs in CSD, it is an option.

I think this really depends on the student and the school.  I am completing my SLP post-bac classes online through 2 different schools.  I have had an entirely different learning experience from each school.  One has online live online lectures and research papers (UAA), and the other is more self-paced and has more projects that help apply the information (UMT).  I applied to a couple of online graduate programs, but I have decided that I would personally be more engaged and have a better learning experience by being surrounded by my peers on-campus.  I am a very hands-on learner.  Reading concepts in a book don't really "stick" with me as much as seeing/doing.  At the same time, the online programs tend to require more field experience (that you have to find on your own).  I noticed that UNC required employment.  Online is way more self-directed.  I feel like this really is a personal preference based on what you know about your own personal learning style and self-motivating abilities.  If the online style works for you, then I don't see why it wouldn't be equal in quality to an on-campus program.

8 hours ago, amc91 said:

If I were in your position, I would look to see which programs have a more interactive style.  I'm in a "regular" CD undergrad cohort, and have taken one CD core course that was online with a weekly "live" session with the instructor.  I was very involved, asked questions, emailed the professor multiple times etc...  In addition, I provided language samples of my children to several classmates for a big assignment.  In short, she got to know me well and became one of my letter of rec writers, despite never having met me in person.  I took an online Physics of Music class that also had an interactive weekly session - I was also very involved in asking questions and staying in touch via email with that professor.  This semester however, I am taking an online elective course on autism that has no interactive component, and I do feel that there is a difference.  I have been emailing the professor when I've needed clarification, but it's not quite the same.  

I don't think the university system in the US is sustainable in its current form, and do believe that there will be more and more online classes and degrees popping up as time goes by.  For example, there is a DE.d. in Educational Leadership at University of Oregon that had its debut last fall with a "state-of-the-art virtual delivery system" that is open only to Oregon residents.  US News ranks them 12 in education, so I am very interested in following the success of this program.  At any rate, from what I understand, the diploma from my current university's online CD grad degree program is indistinguishable from the "normal" graduate degree diploma.  Make sure you go the extra mile, and put time and effort into finding stellar clinical placements and you will likely do very well.

Edited by Jolie717

A 3D program may not be "as good" for you, but you are not the one accrediting the schools, so there's really no way to say if one school is better than another just solely based on mode of learning. 

Student at Eastern New Mexico University, which has an in person and a distance program. We regularly interact. Distance students attend classes in real time with their peers, and interact with the professors through Skype. Plus, you have to spend your first semester on campus, which allows you to build relationships with your professors and cohort before switching to distance if you choose. We're the only program I know that does distance this way. Let me know if you have questions :-).

Second-year grad student at East Carolina University here, and I have found it to be as good as in-person learning. Mostly, we watch the same lectures as the on-campus cohort and have the same syllabus. But we have the advantage of speeding up the lecturer (some of those Southern professors speak very slowly :) ) plus skip over the breaks and general chat. We also have a very supportive secret Facebook group of the distance education students and we collaborate all the time. Plus, I believe we get more "real-life" experience from doing externships instead of on-campus clinic. We don't do externships till our third semester. At ECU the DE program takes 8 semesters but this pace has suited me well, and there are some in the program who have continued to work full-time while in the program.

Good luck with your future.

These are all so helpful, thank you! Im leaning toward a program with a synchronous learning style where you virtually attend classes (like enmu) but hearing about the benefits of more typical online learning encouraging! 

At Western Kentucky, the professors teach just like you are face to face.  They will call on you and expect an answer (you have to use a mic or type).  You have to work in groups which is hard when you live on one coast and your partner is on the other but it can be interesting.  A couple of professors make you present in class just like you there.

On 12.3.2016 at 4:45 PM, Agrippina said:

It is certainly an option that those students who have the disposition to learn proactively should consider! Not as good as a 3D program, but it can be better than nothing. 

My 3D graduate program is absolutely terrible, while everything I know about speech and language I learned in my online leveling program. My online program required me to think and write critically about the material on assignments and exams, while my face-to-face program only requires me to show up, pretend I'm listening to monotonous lectures, and pass multiple-choice question exams. When studying for the Praxis exam, I will be able to go back to the recorded lectures from my online leveling courses, and for that I am grateful. 

3 hours ago, Pennsatucky said:

My 3D graduate program is absolutely terrible, while everything I know about speech and language I learned in my online leveling program. My online program required me to think and write critically about the material on assignments and exams, while my face-to-face program only requires me to show up, pretend I'm listening to monotonous lectures, and pass multiple-choice question exams. When studying for the Praxis exam, I will be able to go back to the recorded lectures from my online leveling courses, and for that I am grateful. 

Something about the disposition to learn proactively! A graduate program isn't about what others require of you, but about what you require of yourself. Recorded lectures are a double-edged sword. They can be useful. I am so happy you have found an experiene that is right for you!

4 hours ago, Agrippina said:

Something about the disposition to learn proactively! A graduate program isn't about what others require of you, but about what you require of yourself. Recorded lectures are a double-edged sword. They can be useful. I am so happy you have found an experiene that is right for you!

Fortunately, I do require a lot of myself. But I believe I am entitled to have high external expectations considering the $$$$$ I'm forking over to a rather mediocre graduate program. My program's sole concern is whether we pass the Praxis exam. I say time and time again that learning to pass a standardized test IS NOT the same thing as getting an education, IMHO. I wonder if this focus is pervasive throughout the country. But this is the unfortunate consequence of an unaffordable educational system centered on customer satisfaction. 

12 hours ago, Pennsatucky said:

My program's sole concern is whether we pass the Praxis exam. 

We can only hope that someone with a better plan for education than any of the candidates who are now running eventually runs for President. That's the only way we are going to get out from under the thumb of Pearson - it's going to take a nationwide debate. I am not holding my breath, because it's not on the radar of any of the current candidates  winning or losing so far. I do not say this to get into an imbroglio about politics, so please take my comments at face value.