What do you write on your writing sample's cover page?

a fragrant plant

What citation style do you use in anthropology? You should follow the style guide instructions for title pages. I'm in English, and the MLA now calls for no title page unless specifically requested by the instructor.

peanuttheanthro, I have the exact same information on my title page as you do. I am still trying to decide, however, where I'm going to put my little blurb explaining the thesis as a whole, since I am only including the introduction and the final chapter of the original essay. I originally had it at the bottom of the title page but now the tp is so cluttered!

peanuttheanthro, I have the exact same information on my title page as you do. I am still trying to decide, however, where I'm going to put my little blurb explaining the thesis as a whole, since I am only including the introduction and the final chapter of the original essay. I originally had it at the bottom of the title page but now the tp is so cluttered!

Hi Maya, I do not have this problem. Even though my writing example is an excerpt from my Master dissertation, it is an essay on its own. I suggest you put the abstract (no more than 100 words) at the bottom of the cover page.

Mine has:

Essay title:[XXX]

Author's Name:[Peanut]

Purpose:[Writing Sample for the Department of Anthropology]

Source:[This paper is an excerpt from the Master dissertation titled XXX]

Do you think I need to put anything else on the cover page? Many thanks!

I didn't have a cover page for my writing sample at all. I put "Fuzzy, app for PhD in Linguistics" on the top margin of every page of the WS and "writing sample, page nr#/total" on the bottom so nothing could possibly get misplaced or lost. On the first page I also put the title of the paper. I basically had this same format for the headings of all of my supporting materials. For stuff that I sent via surface mail I had a general cover letter that contained my name and personal info, the degree&dept I was applying to (in case the letter was sent to the grad school) and a content list of everything found in the envelope.

I didn't have a cover page for my writing sample at all. I put "Fuzzy, app for PhD in Linguistics" on the top margin of every page of the WS and "writing sample, page nr#/total" on the bottom so nothing could possibly get misplaced or lost. On the first page I also put the title of the paper. I basically had this same format for the headings of all of my supporting materials. For stuff that I sent via surface mail I had a general cover letter that contained my name and personal info, the degree&dept I was applying to (in case the letter was sent to the grad school) and a content list of everything found in the envelope.

Yep, I inserted "peanut, writing sample, p.1" on the top header and the essay title at the bottom.